753 Lift Arm Tapered Bore

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

engatty

The two tapered bores in the lift arms on my old 753 are egg-shaped. I desire a top-quality repair. I cannot ream them with a tapered reamer. I do not want to line bore the arms and install the weld-on bushings. Instead, I want to replace the 2" thick factory steel inserts that were factory-welded into the lifting end of each lift arm. I want to remove the factory welds and install two new inserts with two new tapered bores. (These inserts would weigh approximately10 pounds each.) The inserts are irregularly-shaped. An alignment tool would have to be built to precisely align the tapered bores prior to fitting and re-welding the inserts into the lift arms.

I am told by a Bobcat service manager that Bobcat previously offered this service and that these 2" thick steel inserts (with the tapered bore) were available as a service part. I can't, however, find anything on the internet where this is even being discussed. I can find no trace of these lift arm inserts ever being available.

I'm about to strike-out on my own and have some inserts cut and machined, unless somebody has a better idea or waves me off this notion.

Steve in Alabama.

brdgbldr

I can see the parts that you are looking for on the Bobcat parts website but they are no longer available. They do not even have an old part number for them.

The 7753 shows the old part numbers for both the left and right, 6703040 and 6703039 but they are also no longer available and I'm not sure if they are exactly the same for the 753.

foton

sounds like you got a good idea about a repair, but if you got a hydro shop close why dont you run there and get a opinion from someone that has maybe been down that road for a confermation on your thoughts.

billyb

The two tapered bores in the lift arms on my old 753 are egg-shaped. I desire a top-quality repair. I cannot ream them with a tapered reamer. I do not want to line bore the arms and install the weld-on bushings. Instead, I want to replace the 2" thick factory steel inserts that were factory-welded into the lifting end of each lift arm. I want to remove the factory welds and install two new inserts with two new tapered bores. (These inserts would weigh approximately10 pounds each.) The inserts are irregularly-shaped. An alignment tool would have to be built to precisely align the tapered bores prior to fitting and re-welding the inserts into the lift arms.

I am told by a Bobcat service manager that Bobcat previously offered this service and that these 2" thick steel inserts (with the tapered bore) were available as a service part. I can't, however, find anything on the internet where this is even being discussed. I can find no trace of these lift arm inserts ever being available.

I'm about to strike-out on my own and have some inserts cut and machined, unless somebody has a better idea or waves me off this notion.

Steve in Alabama.
I have purchased them from River Valley Machine RVM They were selling all the different weldments for the loader arm and quick attach. You can google them.In
Iowa I believe

OP
OP
E

engatty

I can see the parts that you are looking for on the Bobcat parts website but they are no longer available. They do not even have an old part number for them.

The 7753 shows the old part numbers for both the left and right, 6703040 and 6703039 but they are also no longer available and I'm not sure if they are exactly the same for the 753.
Thank you very much for that information. Now I know I may not be crazy. (Maybe.)

OP
OP
E

engatty

sounds like you got a good idea about a repair, but if you got a hydro shop close why dont you run there and get a opinion from someone that has maybe been down that road for a confermation on your thoughts.
You're talking about water-jet cutting the parts? I was thinking about removing the inserts and either drawing them on CAD and sending the drawing to a water jet shop. There used to be flame cut machines with an optical tracer that could follow a line on a drawing. If I had that capability, I could simply trace the old part on a piece of white paper with a pencil. Either way, I anticipate that the parts could be reproduced satisfactorily.

Thank you for your response !

OP
OP
E

engatty

maybe? replace the lift arms. used might come with piping and tilt cyl
My concern is that used lift arms might also come with egg-shaped tapered bores! My thoughts are running toward "How can I restore the machine to factory condition?"

OP
OP
E

engatty

I have purchased them from River Valley Machine RVM They were selling all the different weldments for the loader arm and quick attach. You can google them.In
Iowa I believe
Thank you. I have the weld-on bushings from RVM. When I place the weld-on bushing next to my existing egg-shaped, tapered bore, the amount of original metal remaining after installation of the new weld-on bushing is too little for me. Call me afraid, but it looks like it would fail to me. I'd rather try to replace the entire insert. I didn't see anything advertised by RVM, but I certainly will contact them for these inserts. Thank you, again! I'll also ask them about the thin-wall situation that has me nervous about the weld-on bushings. RVM are experts at what they produce, pay no attention to my concerns.

Last edited:

billyb

RVM has the larger dia weld on as well as the smaller dia ones where you would line bore the existing holes and insert these new taper bushings

Latest posts