753 front axle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bob99cat

i just recently bought a 99 bobcat 753 its making a grinding noise under front inspection cover of the front axle i know i have to get in there to find out whats going on im just curious if anyone has an idea what it could be before i get in there so i have an idea of what im looking at.

antfarmer2

Bearing.......pick it up and feel for play should be none I got my bearings with races and seals for under $50 at loaderpartscource for my 743 a big job but can be done will learn a few new words

OP
OP
B

bob99cat

Bearing.......pick it up and feel for play should be none I got my bearings with races and seals for under $50 at loaderpartscource for my 743 a big job but can be done will learn a few new words
im guessing there not like a truck so im looking for in and out play more so then up and down?

OP
OP
B

bob99cat

Yep would not drive untill you know it can cost alot more real fast
Ya I'm not im thinking it's pretty bad already that's why I'm asking the questions I'm hoping that it's only the bearings. Thanks for the info man I appreciate it.

Tazza

Staff member
Ya I'm not im thinking it's pretty bad already that's why I'm asking the questions I'm hoping that it's only the bearings. Thanks for the info man I appreciate it.
Could be the brake disc too, get the cover off and go from there.
They are not complex, chains and sprockets running in an oil bath is all you will see.
Antfarmer pointed out another thing you will need to check, axle end play. Get the wheels off the ground and grab the wheel and push and pull it, see if there is any movement, there should be none.

OP
OP
B

bob99cat

Could be the brake disc too, get the cover off and go from there.
They are not complex, chains and sprockets running in an oil bath is all you will see.
Antfarmer pointed out another thing you will need to check, axle end play. Get the wheels off the ground and grab the wheel and push and pull it, see if there is any movement, there should be none.
I think I found the culprit my chains have about an 1-1/2 to 2in of play in them I'm going to remove the cab and seat tomorrow and go from there but I'm pretty sure that's my problem.

antfarmer2

I think I found the culprit my chains have about an 1-1/2 to 2in of play in them I'm going to remove the cab and seat tomorrow and go from there but I'm pretty sure that's my problem.
Is that moveing your tires back and forth you have that?.........does yours have gear reduction boxes?

OP
OP
B

bob99cat

On my 743 you just take off the four nuts on the cage and tip it back make sure you tie it back it can hurt you
ya it's gots tons of slop just sitting there and the noise I thought was grinding was the chains slapping really bad and I'm glad I opened the cover it got water in there and it's all milky so I'm glad I caught it so I can now change the oil. What gear oil goes in these?

antfarmer2

ya it's gots tons of slop just sitting there and the noise I thought was grinding was the chains slapping really bad and I'm glad I opened the cover it got water in there and it's all milky so I'm glad I caught it so I can now change the oil. What gear oil goes in these?
I use 15-40 in all but I live in Texas I would replace all chains do not go by lenght count the links no master on factory chains on my 743 one box would do front and back on one side and they have a new chain guide that is better ..........any play when you pick it up and pull the tire?

OP
OP
B

bob99cat

I use 15-40 in all but I live in Texas I would replace all chains do not go by lenght count the links no master on factory chains on my 743 one box would do front and back on one side and they have a new chain guide that is better ..........any play when you pick it up and pull the tire?
ok that was my next question about tightening chains both sides are junk but after reading that i guess ill be buying new chains and are these a direct part that i can just order or do i have to count links and contact bobcat. and both tires are tight except the front to back from the chains being whore out. And is there a tensioner for the chains or just a guide?

antfarmer2

ok that was my next question about tightening chains both sides are junk but after reading that i guess ill be buying new chains and are these a direct part that i can just order or do i have to count links and contact bobcat. and both tires are tight except the front to back from the chains being whore out. And is there a tensioner for the chains or just a guide?
My 743 took 80 HD one 10 foot box would do one side front and back with a few links left over and I replaced the guide with the new design that is plastic and count the links for lenght

Tazza

Staff member
Bobcat will know the chain type
I think there are guides, but they don't really do anything that makes you need to replace them. If the chain is that badly stretched, it may be touching the bolts inside the chain case, that could be the noise.
There are no tensioners, when the chain has stretched too much, it needs replacing.

antfarmer2

I think there are guides, but they don't really do anything that makes you need to replace them. If the chain is that badly stretched, it may be touching the bolts inside the chain case, that could be the noise.
There are no tensioners, when the chain has stretched too much, it needs replacing.
On my 743 the guides were fine but as the chain streached it wore on the gear reduction box the new designe takes care of this and not to bad on cost

Latest posts