743B gas motor identification

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dave1234

Greetings, I bought a 743B (gasoline) recently, and find it needs a water pump. Bobcat wants $750. I know this same engine was used on Dodge Colts in the 1970-s through 1990's, but which model and year? Has anyone cross referenced the Bobcat version to a specific year model Dodge Colt car? Thanks

brdgbldr

The 743 only came with a diesel engine so I think you mean a 742.
The 742 came with a Ford industrial engine and the 742b or 742B cam with the Mitsubishi 4G32 engine.

There are several posts on here about the Mitsubishi 4G32 engine, you just need to search.

The water pump ( Bobcat part number 6632822 ) can be found on eBay and other sites for a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
D

Dave1234

You're right--742B, Lots of water pumps for bobcat and dodge colt, but which one is right? One claiming to be Bobcat for $189, still way too high if an automotive one for 25040 is identical. Any cross references?

brdgbldr

You're right--742B, Lots of water pumps for bobcat and dodge colt, but which one is right? One claiming to be Bobcat for $189, still way too high if an automotive one for 25040 is identical. Any cross references?
The Bobcat part number 6632822. Type that into the search and you should get the proper pump.

I have never found a cross reference for water pumps. I would suggest taking the old one into an automotive shop and comparing the new one. NAPA has a parts lookup for Bobcat ( they only sell engine parts for them, but they don't list many parts for the older machines.

As I said you can search the forum about this engine. The Mitsubishi Lancer is one I remember. But here is the catch…. The 4G32 is what is called an industrial engine. The block and head may be similar to a production car but most of the time the parts that attach are different. The bolt holes in the blocks may also be different. The 742B engine is only about 34 horse power where the Lancer is several hundred horse power. Also, the pulley offsets can be different. If your pulleys don't line up properly you can burn out a water pump real quick.

I hope you find the water pump that you are looking for. And please, if you do find an aftermarket one post it on here for others benefit.

OP
OP
D

Dave1234

742B 4G32 interchange posting:
I bought a water pump for a 1978 dodge Colt--an Aisin WPM 006. Was an exact replacement for the one I took off my 742B with the 4G32 engine, and which appeared to be the OEM water pump. I also ordered a 2nd one, also for a 1978 Dodge Colt made by GMB Lazorlite L 31-1049 ($18, the cheapest I could find). The casting appeared to be identical to my original, the impeller was different, but I assume it would work. I got both from Ebay. Rock Auto might have been slightly cheaper for Aisin. I recommend the Aisin. There seem to be many available from $40-$70, but I suspect everyone is clearing out their old stock so may not last long.

And, I bought the cheapest distributor cap I could get from Rock Auto ($4) also for a 1978 Dodge Colt and it too fit perfectly on my Bobcat, including having the spark plug wire sockets in the right locations. The only difference is that it lacks the vent opening, which I suspect matters if the machine is out in the weather. I will order a better one with the vent and brass contacts the next time I order, which should last me forever. FYI, it didn't look like any of the dist caps included the rubber gasket that goes below it.

Hope I have saved some of you some money. Bobcat wanted $750 for the waterpump.

Last edited:

cdmccul

You might be surprised... They may be old news here in the states, but a LOT of these little engines are still everywhere in Asia and other places overseas, and are still supported (at least in the aftermarket).

Great research and very valuable info you shared. THANK YOU!

OP
OP
D

Dave1234

Thank you cdmccul. good to know they are popular somewhere still. Gives me hope of long term parts availability. Have a carb kit on order that I hope will be right. More on that in a few weeks I hope.

Also going to try Parker triple loc JIC 37 fittings with a built in o ring in the nose of the male end, like is now apparently std with propane fittings. Hopefully it will make re-use of JIC 37 fittings leak free after multiple re-connections, but may not know that soon--first install will likely be on the case drain filter, so low presssure.