743 Universal Joint

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

newy1234

Ok, I am trying the grease the Uni on my 743 and have read some of the other posts and suceeded it getting grease into one nipple.
I noticed from the manual that there should be 3 nipples in total and all 3 should be in a line?
I could only feel 2 nipples though, is there a trick to find the third? I think I got grease into the middle one and I could feel the one closest to the fan but could not get my arm in far enough to get the grease gun onto it. So thats only 2 I could feel.
Here is a pic of my gun setup for reference:
07082011.jpg

Here is a pic I found on the web, which I think is the correct Uni?

IMG_0927.jpg

Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It depends if someone had replaced the U-joints previously. If they were replaced they may not have installed the exact same units, so that will make life that much harder.... Sorry there is no easy answer. You will need a torch and long arms.

OP
OP
N

newy1234

It depends if someone had replaced the U-joints previously. If they were replaced they may not have installed the exact same units, so that will make life that much harder.... Sorry there is no easy answer. You will need a torch and long arms.
Yeah I hear you Tazza. Maybe someone has been in there at some stage. Maybe the third nipple is broken off.
There is no way I will be getting a tourch down in there, can only just fit my hand and arm in there, no room for my head. Even tried a mirror on a stick but no good.
I am going to try and stick my phone in there and take some pics since it is small and thin.

OP
OP
N

newy1234

Yeah I hear you Tazza. Maybe someone has been in there at some stage. Maybe the third nipple is broken off.
There is no way I will be getting a tourch down in there, can only just fit my hand and arm in there, no room for my head. Even tried a mirror on a stick but no good.
I am going to try and stick my phone in there and take some pics since it is small and thin.
Is that pic of the Uni I posted the correct type?

BobCat

That looks about right? I grease mine by feel so if you can't feel all three then I'd say pull the motor and replace it. Then you know exactly what's what and will have gained lots of knowledge about your machine. Fun project too!