743 starting issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BGDavis

I loaned out ( with reservation ) My 743B when I went to pick it up he said it has been having a dead battery and hasnt moved for several days. The key would not do anything, no solenoid click or starter. I jumpered a pair of wires that are randomly hanging in the wiring harness near the starter to the main power pole of the starter. it immediately activated the solonoid and I was able to start it using the key. The real problem here is that the key wont turn the bobcat off, I have to leave it jumpered to run and it wont shut off until I undo the jumper. Is there a realy that activates the solonoid? or do I have other electrical issues?

antfarmer2

Are those random wires supost to go to a fuel solinoid on my 743 the key will not shut off the engine it has a cable to shut the fuel off

OP
OP
B

BGDavis

Are those random wires supost to go to a fuel solinoid on my 743 the key will not shut off the engine it has a cable to shut the fuel off
I do not believe that they do. They have been there for the 7 years I have owned this machine. Never connected to anything. I think your right about a relay. Just hoping someone else has seen this issue.

jerry

I do not believe that they do. They have been there for the 7 years I have owned this machine. Never connected to anything. I think your right about a relay. Just hoping someone else has seen this issue.
Look into this a little further. Do a search here and there will be a few threads dealing with it. If I remember right the fuel solenoid takes 12 v to pull it and uses a lower voltage to hold it. If so and you are giving it a steady 12v it will burn out. Probably just a relay that is bad.

OP
OP
B

BGDavis

Look into this a little further. Do a search here and there will be a few threads dealing with it. If I remember right the fuel solenoid takes 12 v to pull it and uses a lower voltage to hold it. If so and you are giving it a steady 12v it will burn out. Probably just a relay that is bad.
This is a perfect example of practicing the kiss method. The first thing I should have checked is the battery (check complete) not the problem. next would or should have been the switch. had i checked the switch, i would have seen that I was missing a fuse. I have 2 fuses next to the ignition key. one was gone, zip, zero non existant.. So moral of the story.. KISS your bobcat.

Tazza

Staff member
This is a perfect example of practicing the kiss method. The first thing I should have checked is the battery (check complete) not the problem. next would or should have been the switch. had i checked the switch, i would have seen that I was missing a fuse. I have 2 fuses next to the ignition key. one was gone, zip, zero non existant.. So moral of the story.. KISS your bobcat.
hehe, saldy if you kiss your bobcat, it may be time to book a padded room for you to spend some time in :)
Glad you found the issue and got it all fixed, even better when the fix was nice and cheap.

antfarmer2

hehe, saldy if you kiss your bobcat, it may be time to book a padded room for you to spend some time in :)
Glad you found the issue and got it all fixed, even better when the fix was nice and cheap.
Glad it was cheap and easy,.,,.........but how did your fuse vanish?

antfarmer2

Our 743 not a b had quarter turn fuse holders with glass fuses and every once and a while they would fall out or get knocked out
Has not happend yet on my 743 I always turn the key on first to check the warning lights before I heat and start to make sure they are good