743 Stalling

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Vince

Hi Guys ...I have been reading the forum about stalling ,..my 743 worked for about 2 hours then stalled I was tipping dirt at the time ..not working too hard ...I then pumped the primer checked the fuel to the injectotors then someone told me to loosen the wing nut that holds the fuel filter,,fuel spurted out ...tried to start and it ran ok for about half an hour..then stalled again went through the same procedure and it started ok....did the same thing the next day after about two hours running.....I checked the fuel I primed and checked the injectors for fuel ..seemed ok ..there is fuel leaking from where the accelerator is attached to the engine (maybe oil can't tell)..I did notice the primer got really hard sometimes. The fuel tank was cleaned out a while ago the filter has been changed !! not sure what it could be ! Any idea's Vince

Tazza

Staff member
It will be engine oil at the throttle lever, don't be too worried about that.
Now the fuel issue, this is what i would do:
Lift the cab, find the fuel pickup tube on the fuel tank, pull it out. Replace the tube and ensure the screen is CLEAN at the bottom, its not really needed as all the fuel runs through a filter anyway. You may even want to ensure your lift pump is good as well.
The fuel supply on these machines is very simple. Ensure the bleed screw is tight too on the injector pump. If its left open after priming it will cause all sorts of running issues.
Hopefully that will give you a starting point.

mrfixitpaul

It will be engine oil at the throttle lever, don't be too worried about that.
Now the fuel issue, this is what i would do:
Lift the cab, find the fuel pickup tube on the fuel tank, pull it out. Replace the tube and ensure the screen is CLEAN at the bottom, its not really needed as all the fuel runs through a filter anyway. You may even want to ensure your lift pump is good as well.
The fuel supply on these machines is very simple. Ensure the bleed screw is tight too on the injector pump. If its left open after priming it will cause all sorts of running issues.
Hopefully that will give you a starting point.
Also should check that the fuel cap is vented. I'd be cautious about leaving the pick up screen off....debris can plug at the fuel petcock valve before it gets to the filter.

Tazza

Staff member
Also should check that the fuel cap is vented. I'd be cautious about leaving the pick up screen off....debris can plug at the fuel petcock valve before it gets to the filter.
The rubbish in the tank would have to be pretty big to clog things up. The 743 tank is easy to remove and clean, may be an option to do that too, just to be sure.

mrfixitpaul

The rubbish in the tank would have to be pretty big to clog things up. The 743 tank is easy to remove and clean, may be an option to do that too, just to be sure.
I've seen it several times...the "old style" screen (no spring around it) wears a hole in itself and a wood chip or something like that gets into the valve and plugs it. Wouldn't have plugged the screen but once it got into the line....

coreya3212

I've seen it several times...the "old style" screen (no spring around it) wears a hole in itself and a wood chip or something like that gets into the valve and plugs it. Wouldn't have plugged the screen but once it got into the line....
Vince, what you are describing sounds exactly what I had going on a month or so ago. My problem was some crud blocking the one way valve at the lift pump. I cleaned that out , after numerous other things, and that seems to have cured it. Sometimes it would run for 2 hours and some times 10 minutes between having to re prime the injectors. Mine seem to run ok at mid throttle, but 3/4 to full it would stall out, i guess lack of fuel flo in the higher throttle range. Listen to the guys here and start at the pickup tube and go from there and you will find your prblem.

OP
OP
V

Vince

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..I have followed the instructions posted unfortunatley it has not fixed the problem....should I replace the back flow fuel line ...would this make any difference.....also I have noticed the primer is sucked right up when the problem happens and it takes quiet a while for it to return to its normal inflated position(the primer has been replaced. Also should I replace the fuel line that goes from the filter to the fuel pump..ts seems pretty hard in some places and softer in others ...could this be my problem as it runs under the motor I'm thinking when the hose gets hot it could possibly suck in and causing the primer to suck in your thoughts please ? cheers

mrfixitpaul

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..I have followed the instructions posted unfortunatley it has not fixed the problem....should I replace the back flow fuel line ...would this make any difference.....also I have noticed the primer is sucked right up when the problem happens and it takes quiet a while for it to return to its normal inflated position(the primer has been replaced. Also should I replace the fuel line that goes from the filter to the fuel pump..ts seems pretty hard in some places and softer in others ...could this be my problem as it runs under the motor I'm thinking when the hose gets hot it could possibly suck in and causing the primer to suck in your thoughts please ? cheers
If the primer bulb is collapsing, and the fuel cap is venting properly, then there has to be something stopping the flow of fuel between the tank and the primer bulb. If it were me, at this stage, I'd remove the fuel pick-up, lines, and valve, leading to the primer bulb. Then verify all is clean and clear by blowing compressed air through. Also check the inlet to the primer bulb for possible debris. As for the questionable line going to the fuel pump, that won't cause the primer to collapse, which is what is stalling the engine due to lack of fuel.

Tazza

Staff member
If the primer bulb is collapsing, and the fuel cap is venting properly, then there has to be something stopping the flow of fuel between the tank and the primer bulb. If it were me, at this stage, I'd remove the fuel pick-up, lines, and valve, leading to the primer bulb. Then verify all is clean and clear by blowing compressed air through. Also check the inlet to the primer bulb for possible debris. As for the questionable line going to the fuel pump, that won't cause the primer to collapse, which is what is stalling the engine due to lack of fuel.
Flat primer bulb is text book pickup filter blockage. Lift the cab and pull the plug and pickup tube from the tank, Ensure the filter screen is clean, technically you don't even need the screen as anything it picks up will be caught by the filter, you r choice here. Rubbish can get stuck in the elbow too. As mrfixitpaul said, use compressed air to ensure the line is clear, great to blow crud clear of the line.
You can try pulling the filler cap too, they are vented, but if its cloged some how, it can cause this too.
When you have a blockage before the primer bulb they go flat, flat is NOT good its starving for fuel, thats why its stalling on you.

OP
OP
V

Vince

Flat primer bulb is text book pickup filter blockage. Lift the cab and pull the plug and pickup tube from the tank, Ensure the filter screen is clean, technically you don't even need the screen as anything it picks up will be caught by the filter, you r choice here. Rubbish can get stuck in the elbow too. As mrfixitpaul said, use compressed air to ensure the line is clear, great to blow crud clear of the line.
You can try pulling the filler cap too, they are vented, but if its cloged some how, it can cause this too.
When you have a blockage before the primer bulb they go flat, flat is NOT good its starving for fuel, thats why its stalling on you.
Thanks for the advice....I removed the filter screen and it seems to be working ok ! nice one ! thanks

OP
OP
V

Vince

thanks for the advice...I removed the filter screen of the pickup and it seem OK ! thanks again ! cheers