743 Questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Living Proof

I just bought a 743 and 1. there is a 90 degree elbow on the valve cover with a hose connected to it, should it be spitting oil out? 2. are the service and parts manuals on ebay for $80 worth it or are there better manuals, 3. do you turn the key to the left and hold it or turn it to the right and wait to engage the glow plugs (got conflicting info), 4. is the best place for parts the dealer or do you guys buy on the net? Thanks, sorry so many questions, 1st time owner here.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, the oil coming out the breather isn't really good but its normal for higher hour engines. Its blow-by that pushes oil out at the gas/air escapes.
The manuals on e-bay will be the same as the dealer, call your local dealer to check their price. They are sometimes cheaper than e-bay.
Yes, key left to glow, hold it for say 10-15 seconds then turn to the right to start.
Parts, there are a few that are dealer only but engine and pump parts can be bought after market. Cylinders and drive motors too. If you can be specific we can give you a better idea.

coreya3212

Ok, the oil coming out the breather isn't really good but its normal for higher hour engines. Its blow-by that pushes oil out at the gas/air escapes.
The manuals on e-bay will be the same as the dealer, call your local dealer to check their price. They are sometimes cheaper than e-bay.
Yes, key left to glow, hold it for say 10-15 seconds then turn to the right to start.
Parts, there are a few that are dealer only but engine and pump parts can be bought after market. Cylinders and drive motors too. If you can be specific we can give you a better idea.
I bought a "operators manual" from the dealer, Calgary Canada, for 100 buck which was a huge waste of money. I bought a "service manual" online from www.Cramiesmanuals.com for 120 bucks which was worth the money and very helpful. Cant speak for a parts manual. My unit is a 825 which is quite old, so perhaps a new operators manual for a more recent machine may be useful. My 2 cents for what its worth. Good Luck.

OP
OP
L

Living Proof

I bought a "operators manual" from the dealer, Calgary Canada, for 100 buck which was a huge waste of money. I bought a "service manual" online from www.Cramiesmanuals.com for 120 bucks which was worth the money and very helpful. Cant speak for a parts manual. My unit is a 825 which is quite old, so perhaps a new operators manual for a more recent machine may be useful. My 2 cents for what its worth. Good Luck.
Thanks for the replies, as far as parts I know I need a muffler and a hydrolic fluid cap, and a coolant resevoir.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies, as far as parts I know I need a muffler and a hydrolic fluid cap, and a coolant resevoir.
The muffler isn't too expensive, but the coolant bottle and hydro caps are cheap!
I personally would go the parts manual if you have a lot of things to fix, it shows you wehere they go and numbers for ordering. The operation manual for an older machine i agree is a bit of a waste, i paid about $40 for mine and it wasn't even the rite one! its mostly common sense stuff. The newer machines i believe the manual is a good idea as it will explain how the *gadgets* work.
OOH, service manual is a must if you are going to do your own repairs. You can probably get around it without, but it helps you learn what to expect if you pull a section apart.

OP
OP
L

Living Proof

The muffler isn't too expensive, but the coolant bottle and hydro caps are cheap!
I personally would go the parts manual if you have a lot of things to fix, it shows you wehere they go and numbers for ordering. The operation manual for an older machine i agree is a bit of a waste, i paid about $40 for mine and it wasn't even the rite one! its mostly common sense stuff. The newer machines i believe the manual is a good idea as it will explain how the *gadgets* work.
OOH, service manual is a must if you are going to do your own repairs. You can probably get around it without, but it helps you learn what to expect if you pull a section apart.
Does the serial number give any clue as to what year a 743 is ? By the way this is the most helpful forum I've seen, I'm trying to read every post on the 743. Thanks, again.

Tazza

Staff member
Does the serial number give any clue as to what year a 743 is ? By the way this is the most helpful forum I've seen, I'm trying to read every post on the 743. Thanks, again.
Your dealer should be able to nail it down a bit closer, but between 1980 and 1990. Now the early ones had a port block, square block on the hydro pump. They had springs on the back of the ROPS to help when lifting the cab. They then went to gas struts. The newer ones had a plastic oil reserve tank instead of metal. The older ones had a one piece dash, the newer ones had a 3 piece dash, left and right were triangular with a cover running between.
That gives you an idea, its not spot on but will tell you if its early or late 80's

perry

Your dealer should be able to nail it down a bit closer, but between 1980 and 1990. Now the early ones had a port block, square block on the hydro pump. They had springs on the back of the ROPS to help when lifting the cab. They then went to gas struts. The newer ones had a plastic oil reserve tank instead of metal. The older ones had a one piece dash, the newer ones had a 3 piece dash, left and right were triangular with a cover running between.
That gives you an idea, its not spot on but will tell you if its early or late 80's
If you have problems with your local BC dealer (like I do), contact Mark...
AKA...Bobcat parts manager, he is a member here, he helped me by simply providing the 'right' parts, my local dealer sent me wrong parts more times than I can remember.

skidsteer.ca

If you have problems with your local BC dealer (like I do), contact Mark...

http://www.imbobcat.com

AKA...Bobcat parts manager, he is a member here, he helped me by simply providing the 'right' parts, my local dealer sent me wrong parts more times than I can remember.
You can search the list here http://www.tradebit.com/ to see if they list you model of loader. I down loaded one for my NH from them, I prefer them in pdf. Had it right away, good price.
Ken

cmb7684

You can search the list here http://www.tradebit.com/ to see if they list you model of loader. I down loaded one for my NH from them, I prefer them in pdf. Had it right away, good price.
Ken
If you call bobcat and give them the serial number they can tell you all the information including if the machine is on their list of stolen machines.

mrfixitpaul

If you call bobcat and give them the serial number they can tell you all the information including if the machine is on their list of stolen machines.
I used to look on the various decals around the engine area and in the lower corner would be a 2 digit number for the year the decal was made.....and if it's the original one on the machine......it'll be close

OP
OP
L

Living Proof

I used to look on the various decals around the engine area and in the lower corner would be a 2 digit number for the year the decal was made.....and if it's the original one on the machine......it'll be close
what is the little lever with a spring connected, right behind the radiator hose on the valve cover? and the little covers with 2 screws on top of the valve cover (maybe over each injector). Thanks again sooooo much.

Tazza

Staff member
what is the little lever with a spring connected, right behind the radiator hose on the valve cover? and the little covers with 2 screws on top of the valve cover (maybe over each injector). Thanks again sooooo much.
If i understand your description, its used for decompression for easier cranking. I know some engines had it fitted, but i have never seen any in a Bobcat before. The way it works is to hold the exhaust vales slightly open so you can get the engine cranking over fast enough to get it to fire when you let the decompression lever go. It has nothing to do with the injectors though, only the exhaust valves. Don't fiddle with it, its not connected to anything anyway.

Latest posts