743 question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drg

my neighbor has a 743 that has been left unattended for a couple of years,,I approached him regarding to purchase it from him..He told me that he used it for after building his house to clear out land for a road and various other things,,total time is under 3,000 hrs and as far as he can remember everthing works on it..it is unable to start since the battery is out and has the usual flat tire, and I got the feeling he's not too interested in getting it in running condition for me to check out...I asked what he wanted for it and he said "shoot me a offer" Having been outside its a little weathered but thats fine with me..It appears to have aux hyd, tooth bar bucket, and diesel engine...I have the serial number if that helps...So the question is what would be a fair offer with out upsetting my neighbor? I'm afraid that if I got it to running condition that he would jack up the price considerabley...so.....what.s a person to do

Bobcatdan

Not running, $1000, but thats just me. 743's where good machines and there still is a lot of love here for them. I am always wherry of buying something not running just because you never know. I would throw a battery in it and see if it starts. It should run on the old fuel, diesels seems to keep pretty good. Those old kubotas normally start pretty good and move it around see how it works. A functioning 743 is worth about $5000.

OP
OP
D

drg

Not running, $1000, but thats just me. 743's where good machines and there still is a lot of love here for them. I am always wherry of buying something not running just because you never know. I would throw a battery in it and see if it starts. It should run on the old fuel, diesels seems to keep pretty good. Those old kubotas normally start pretty good and move it around see how it works. A functioning 743 is worth about $5000.
Im kinda concerned about scoring the cylinders, or the possibility of a stuck ring since there has been no lubrication for the past 2 years, any ideas?

Bobcatdan

Im kinda concerned about scoring the cylinders, or the possibility of a stuck ring since there has been no lubrication for the past 2 years, any ideas?
You could pull the glow plugs out and squirt some oil down it, but that won't do anything for a stuck ring. Just start it and let it idle for a while. Make sure the oil and coolant level is full before you try starting it. Unless you think water got into the engine, it should be find.

OP
OP
D

drg

You could pull the glow plugs out and squirt some oil down it, but that won't do anything for a stuck ring. Just start it and let it idle for a while. Make sure the oil and coolant level is full before you try starting it. Unless you think water got into the engine, it should be find.
ok thats kinda what I was thinking, now as you can tell I'm a newbie to this, so what kinda of battery, can I use one out of the pick-up, or do I need something around the 1000 cca ?

RH222

I got my 743 around 2 weeks ago for $3500. It starts and runs well but requires a lot of work to get right. steering, hydralic leak and bob-tach all need attention. After pulling the steering linkage out, I have been trying to clean it to track down the hydraulic leak. So far I have removed 20-30 lbs of gooey dirt from both sides more cleaning is needed before I will really know. cleaning will continue tomorrow. -Richard

Bobcatdan

I got my 743 around 2 weeks ago for $3500. It starts and runs well but requires a lot of work to get right. steering, hydralic leak and bob-tach all need attention. After pulling the steering linkage out, I have been trying to clean it to track down the hydraulic leak. So far I have removed 20-30 lbs of gooey dirt from both sides more cleaning is needed before I will really know. cleaning will continue tomorrow. -Richard
Don't really need anything bigger then a 600 cca. Its warm now, it should start pretty easy.

Garauld

> Sounds like how I got mine, leak and all. I'll bet you end up pulling the motor to get the valve block out so you can replace the hose on the bottom. It's not that hard, really, and it will be a whole lot cleaner when you're done...