742B U-Joints and Yoke Greasing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tango-Charlie

Hey all,
I'm a regular on here and have owned a 742B with a Mitsubishi 4G32 gasser engine for several years. I do my own routine and maintenance on this machine. It's about the time that I need to grease the u-joints. I had done this once before myself and what a pain in the butt to try and do it alone. Then I got smart the last time and asked my wife who has smaller arms and hands if she could reach in and get the grease gun on the zerks. She was able to feel for them as I manually turned the crank with a wrench until she could feel them. This time I think I'll lay a piece of plywood over the pump and transmission so she can try to be a little more comfortable laying there. The last time she said she could only feel 2 zerks so we greased the two on the u-joints. However, in checking the manual it shows 2 zerks on the u-joints and one on the yoke. This obviously was not one of Bobcat's better ideas to grease these during regular maintenance. I don't want to slide the engine back to access them either. I've been searching the internet looking for an exact picture of the u-joints and yoke zerks but haven't been able to find one. I did find a picture for an 825 but that did not show a zerk on the yoke. I have the diagram from the bobcat parts website which also shows zerks of the u-joints and yoke for a total of 3 zerks to grease. My question to all you 742B and 743 owners is does anyone have an actual picture when they've had an engine out of a 742B or 742 that shows the exact u-joint and yoke zerks. This would help to get an image in our heads as we're trying to feel for the zerks in the blind. Any pictures would be helpful or other ideas that we haven't tried yet. Thanks! JD

spitzair

Here ya go! This is on a 732 with the Ford engine but it's the same u-joint setup… there's no zerks in this yoke either, I just greased it by hand before sliding it on…

Attachments

• 5BFE9D06-8CD3-4073-8ED0-EEB86D3CE857.jpeg
    5BFE9D06-8CD3-4073-8ED0-EEB86D3CE857.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

That's just what we were looking for. Thanks! Now to just fight lying on the machine to get to them. Thank you!

brdgbldr

Hey all,
I'm a regular on here and have owned a 742B with a Mitsubishi 4G32 gasser engine for several years. I do my own routine and maintenance on this machine. It's about the time that I need to grease the u-joints. I had done this once before myself and what a pain in the butt to try and do it alone. Then I got smart the last time and asked my wife who has smaller arms and hands if she could reach in and get the grease gun on the zerks. She was able to feel for them as I manually turned the crank with a wrench until she could feel them. This time I think I'll lay a piece of plywood over the pump and transmission so she can try to be a little more comfortable laying there. The last time she said she could only feel 2 zerks so we greased the two on the u-joints. However, in checking the manual it shows 2 zerks on the u-joints and one on the yoke. This obviously was not one of Bobcat's better ideas to grease these during regular maintenance. I don't want to slide the engine back to access them either. I've been searching the internet looking for an exact picture of the u-joints and yoke zerks but haven't been able to find one. I did find a picture for an 825 but that did not show a zerk on the yoke. I have the diagram from the bobcat parts website which also shows zerks of the u-joints and yoke for a total of 3 zerks to grease. My question to all you 742B and 743 owners is does anyone have an actual picture when they've had an engine out of a 742B or 742 that shows the exact u-joint and yoke zerks. This would help to get an image in our heads as we're trying to feel for the zerks in the blind. Any pictures would be helpful or other ideas that we haven't tried yet. Thanks! JD
It should have three grease fittings. They should be in line. Check the parts catalog with your serial number. https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com/#/catalogBrowser

Get yourself a cheap moving blanket to lie on for padding. Your grease gun should have a three foot tube minimum. When you go to reach in, start all the way over to the right next to the frame. Seams counterproductive to start far away from the U-joint but it gives your arm more room. An inspection mirror and flashlight can help to see and get the fittings lined up but the actual greasing has to be done blind. I did this every year for 13 years by myself and once I figured it out it was no big deal.

I've attached a copy of the u-joint exploded view.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-02 at 8.43.06 AM.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

Thanks, I already had the parts diagram that showed the 3 zerks. My problem is that several years ago I added a new cab heater that I got for a good price from Bobcat. It showed to route the heater hoses from engine around that side and above the pump and below the cab. After adding the heater and hoses the hoses make it more difficult to get into the zerks. I used to be able to use an inspection mirror and flashlight but with the heater hose routing that's just about an impossibility. I did order a new 30" grease gun hose and as I recall my 18" grease gun hose was not fun. I like the idea of an old furniture pad which we have for the wife to lay on while I pump the grease. She usually feels for the zerks after I disconnect the coil and slowly hand turn the crank. I'll make sure she sees if she can feel for 3 zerks and start with the one on the yoke if she can find it. Thanks, and I appreciate the information. It's easier to keep them greased than having to purchase new ones. Bobcat wants 600.00 + for the u-joints and 400.00 + for the yoke if they'd need replacing. Thanks, JD.

brdgbldr

It also helps if you can attach something to the end of the hose to use as kind of a grip. I had put a hose clamp on mine. It helps to be able to feel the zerk with a finger while the rest push on the "handle" to keep it on the zerk.

I actually have a brand new u-joint for sale if you ever need one. The listing has a photo that might help.

No yoke though.

OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

We got them greased. There are three (3) zerks with the one way back near the fan and the hardest to reach. Our 742B has the heater hoses routed in that same area so it was a little tricky. Two of the zerks were about 1/2" apart and the third one was about another inch further to the rear. But yes, there are three (3). Our 742B has a door and the large heavy filler steel section below the door. So, to try and make it easier I took a small piece of 3/4" plywood, kind of cut down a little to fit, and laid it over the filler steel below the door and onto the side cab steel pieces where one side has the choke and throttle, and the other side is the quick disconnects for the heater with the heater control cable. We just had to be careful with placement as to not break the knobs on the choke and heater cables. This at least made it a little more comfortable to lay flat on everything while trying to get your arm to slide around the left side of the pump to grease the zerks. Then I asked my wife to help as she has skinnier arms to try and slide the hose back to the zerks. I did purchase two (2) additional 30" hoses for the grease gun and put those on for additional hose length, which did help. We had to pull a little on the heater hoses to get her arm in to feel for the zerks. When she found the shaft with the tip of her fingers, I manually turned the crank till she felt the zerks. We got the first two (2) zerks greased, which were the easiest of the three (3). She said she couldn't feel anymore, and I said to triple check and go further back toward the engine and try to ensure. She reached in about another inch and said oh yah, I think I found it. She got on the zerk and tried to keep pressure on the hose while we greased it. So, all in all there are three (3) zerks to grease. When we got done and she got her arm out she said, "whose better idea was this to put zerks in such a horrible place to access". To make things easier we used a piece of plywood to lay on, added a couple 30" hoses to the grease gun, and above all someone with a skinnier arm. She and I both have a baseball size bruise on our forearms from getting these greased. The bruise comes from where your forearm rubs on the frame while reaching around behind the pump. It's still easier than pulling the engine. We grease them once a year before winter.

20221016_081755.jpg

dfb

We got them greased. There are three (3) zerks with the one way back near the fan and the hardest to reach. Our 742B has the heater hoses routed in that same area so it was a little tricky. Two of the zerks were about 1/2" apart and the third one was about another inch further to the rear. But yes, there are three (3). Our 742B has a door and the large heavy filler steel section below the door. So, to try and make it easier I took a small piece of 3/4" plywood, kind of cut down a little to fit, and laid it over the filler steel below the door and onto the side cab steel pieces where one side has the choke and throttle, and the other side is the quick disconnects for the heater with the heater control cable. We just had to be careful with placement as to not break the knobs on the choke and heater cables. This at least made it a little more comfortable to lay flat on everything while trying to get your arm to slide around the left side of the pump to grease the zerks. Then I asked my wife to help as she has skinnier arms to try and slide the hose back to the zerks. I did purchase two (2) additional 30" hoses for the grease gun and put those on for additional hose length, which did help. We had to pull a little on the heater hoses to get her arm in to feel for the zerks. When she found the shaft with the tip of her fingers, I manually turned the crank till she felt the zerks. We got the first two (2) zerks greased, which were the easiest of the three (3). She said she couldn't feel anymore, and I said to triple check and go further back toward the engine and try to ensure. She reached in about another inch and said oh yah, I think I found it. She got on the zerk and tried to keep pressure on the hose while we greased it. So, all in all there are three (3) zerks to grease. When we got done and she got her arm out she said, "whose better idea was this to put zerks in such a horrible place to access". To make things easier we used a piece of plywood to lay on, added a couple 30" hoses to the grease gun, and above all someone with a skinnier arm. She and I both have a baseball size bruise on our forearms from getting these greased. The bruise comes from where your forearm rubs on the frame while reaching around behind the pump. It's still easier than pulling the engine. We grease them once a year before winter.

View attachment 2521
Thanks for the detailed description and reminder to do mine.

oiu789

View attachment 2521
"Whose better idea was this to put zerks in such a horrible place to access". Some over educated over paid kid who does not work on what he designs!!