742B died

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

Loader was running at high idle when I connected jumper cables to the JD diesel. It was dark and I had no flashlight, and I connected cables backwards (they got hot) -- loader quit. When trying to re-start, it would turn over well and try to start, but just wouldn't catch. Two hours later it would still turn over actively, but with no indication it was going to catch. I assume that the incorrect battery connection fried one or more components in the loader--coil, condenser, points, electric fuel pump. This is a first for me--I have been using jumper cables correctly and successfully for 60 years, but not in the dark, and not on a battery terminal so difficult to access as the Bobcat. What should I test or replace first?

brdgbldr

Accidents happen,

I would start with the easy cheap stuff and work my way up.

You can check your points cap and rotor visually but from what I remember there is also a condenser that I'm not sure how to check. The coil can be checked with an ohm meter. Maybe think about replacing the parts or upgrading to an electronic ignition (I do actually have one for sale on eBay. It was a left over extra from my 742B. I have most of the extra parts listed on here in the FOR SALE section. Message me if you are interested in any and we can skip eBay or not:

There is also a resister at the coil that could have been fried. You could check that visually and with an ohm meter. When I got my 742B at auction, I got it cheap because it would not start. It was that resistor. Once replaced it started right up. ( I actually have a couple of those also. I know this is beginning to sound like an add but I just sold my 742B and have some extra parts I don't need including a starter, alternator and other various parts).

Then the ignition wires and spark plugs. I'm not actually sure if any damage would have been done to the plugs but it never hurts to check.

Then of course there is also the chance you fried some wires too. check all of the wire connections for scoring.

Does the engine smell like it is flooding when you turn it over several times? It actually should. If it doesn't your fuel shutoff could be bad.

Check the parts catalog electrical schematic at :
It may help to see it all and give you an idea of what gotmfried.

OP
OP
R

[email protected]

Thanks for the feedback, but with all my tools at another house 60 miles away, and cold, I called the dealer so I can incur some end-of-year expenses. Will check back with diagnosis.

dfb

The connections for the 2 fuel solenoids, are made at the ignition coil positive battery terminal which is where the 12 volt power comes from the ignition switch. If you could confirm that you have power there Key On Engine Off and Key On Engine Cranking that would be a good place to start. I can walk you through some simple tests from here if you can test for power and get the nuts off from the coil. I would be reluctant to have the dealer or anybody try and fix it that is going to just try changing stuff....this can create more problems than you started with. A 12volt test light, a screwdriver{to jump the solenoid if you don't have an assistant} and something to get the coil nuts off is probably all the tolls you need to make this diagnosis. HTH.