742 pours oil out back of engine when running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grumpy Oldman

I have an old 742 with the Ford 1.6 that was working fine other than backfiring every time it was shut off. We have only put 15 or so hours on it since we got it from the previous owner. No idea of it's service history, but based on how well he did home improvement projects, I am thinking not much if any and whatever was done was done poorly.

Anyway, it now empties the engine oil out from somewhere on the back of the engine. It really pours out if it's running as though it is being pumped out, and will empty the pan in just a few minutes. Rear main seal? Is there a cam plug that could have come loose or rusted out? I have been looking for photos of the flywheel end of the engine but haven't found any without the flywheel.

If I can get the oil to stay in it, I will check timing and fuel to try and find the backfire at shutoff issue. We had to rebuild the carb a while ago due to bad gas, though it has backfired at shutoff all the time we have had it. It has an electric fuel pump and points type distributor.

Any thoughts are appreciated.