742 engine- pump u-joint access

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wayne440

New owner here, so be gentle, please. How/where is the access to the engine to pump u-joint? I want to make sure it has grease in it.

craigb93

Block the rear of the machine, lift the ROPS. Lay a heavy quilt or mattress over the pump. Lie down and Reach to the back of the pump. By feel you will find 3-zerk fittings on the coupler. A grease gun with a 12" flex extension will reach the spot. No fun but not too bad. If they are not all reachable, rotating the engine w/ a socket & bar will help. A second person is always good too. -Dick

Tazza

Staff member
Block the rear of the machine, lift the ROPS. Lay a heavy quilt or mattress over the pump. Lie down and Reach to the back of the pump. By feel you will find 3-zerk fittings on the coupler. A grease gun with a 12" flex extension will reach the spot. No fun but not too bad. If they are not all reachable, rotating the engine w/ a socket & bar will help. A second person is always good too. -Dick
A helper is a very good idea, makes the job a lot easier.
Glad you thought about the U-joints, it is a neglected part that usually gets repaired when they fail.

OP
OP
W

Wayne440

A helper is a very good idea, makes the job a lot easier.
Glad you thought about the U-joints, it is a neglected part that usually gets repaired when they fail.
Appreciate the prompt reply. I have seen the results of that failure on a 743, and guess that those parts for the 742 are much harder to find, so regular application of some grease there seems like a great idea to me. My machine isn't much compared to some, but it sure beats a shovel, I'm trying to take good care of it.

Tango-Charlie

I have a 742B and my hands and arms were tight but could reach them. My wife volunteered to help and with her thinner arms and hands she was able to get right in there and feel the zerks and get the nozzle of the grease gun on them while I pumped the grease. A second person with smaller hands and arms helps too.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 742B and my hands and arms were tight but could reach them. My wife volunteered to help and with her thinner arms and hands she was able to get right in there and feel the zerks and get the nozzle of the grease gun on them while I pumped the grease. A second person with smaller hands and arms helps too.
Your wife was happy to be up to her elbows in your machine? you got a keeper there.

wings5j

Your wife was happy to be up to her elbows in your machine? you got a keeper there.
I am late to the party but had one thing to add. Craigb93 spelled out the procedure I use and I can't think there is really much other way to do it. Being a somewhat of a visual type of person, I wanted to get a look at the u-joint and grease zerks. While laying on the aforementioned pad, I was able to use a flashlight and inspection mirror to actually see what things looked like back there. I believe I bought an 18" or perhaps a 24" hose for my grease gun. That made the job a bit easier. John