642b No start, fuel issue...?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jhmeg2

642b was running fine, then bogged down and died. Crank crank no start. Let it sit, it starts and runs then dies. Parked it. Few weeks later it starts, runs, dies. Changed air filter, 3 of the 4 plugs ( one won't budge), new fuel filter. Ran, died... Now crank no start. I don't have the knowledge any farther. I have an appointment with my mechanic jan 16th, but need to plow snow. Is there anyone near Wautoma WI. that can help. Please!

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Update... Pulled the fuel shut off valve out, put in an electric fuel pump, and regapped the plugs. It ran for about 15 minutes and I was able to plow the main part of the driveway, but it kept bogging down. Then it bogged and shit down. Was able to limpnit back into the garage and park it.

brdgbldr

Could be you governor.

Does it sound like it is running out of fuel (it would sputter a bit before stopping) or like the motor is overloaded?

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Yeah it sputters, if I cut the throttle, it may keep running, but mostly dies.

brdgbldr

Sounds like a fuel problem.

Take a look at the fuel line in the tank. These get brittle and can crack or break causing the the fuel pump to suck air. You can top off the tank and start it to check this but then you may need to remove all of the fuel to work on the machine if it is a different problem.

Also there should be a screen on the end of the fuel tube. It is a filter and a check valve. This can get clogged up and fail only allowing a small amount of fuel to get by.

foton

if you have a portable fuel tank like one that would be used with a outboard boat engine, you could gravity feed the carb with it ,if it straightens up you will know it is your fuel source in the machine ,but first check your fuel filters.

thwerench

Yea. Sure sounds like a fuel issue. Great idea to set a can of gas on top and run a hose to the carburetor to confirm

Atilathehun99

Different engine but I had the same problem w/ my 722. Would run for a while and die. Let sit, rinse and repeat.

Everyone had ideas but not one was a solution. Finally in desperation I was going to send my distributor in for a re-build. When I told the guy it was a Bosch out of a Ford 1.6 L industrial he said don't waste my money or his time. According to him Ford cheaped out and didn't spend the extra $$ to have Bosch case harden the distributor's shaft.

Made sense to me. Everything fine until the block heats up and expands ever so slightly, but enough to create an oversized hole for the distributor shaft. That then can wobble a tiny bit throwing off the points gap.

Can't say for sure if that was the problem but after putting in a new Pertronix distributor the problem ceased and never has occurred again.

I know the 642B has a Mits engine but I'm just sharing my experience.

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Different engine but I had the same problem w/ my 722. Would run for a while and die. Let sit, rinse and repeat.

Everyone had ideas but not one was a solution. Finally in desperation I was going to send my distributor in for a re-build. When I told the guy it was a Bosch out of a Ford 1.6 L industrial he said don't waste my money or his time. According to him Ford cheaped out and didn't spend the extra $$ to have Bosch case harden the distributor's shaft.

Made sense to me. Everything fine until the block heats up and expands ever so slightly, but enough to create an oversized hole for the distributor shaft. That then can wobble a tiny bit throwing off the points gap.

Can't say for sure if that was the problem but after putting in a new Pertronix distributor the problem ceased and never has occurred again.

I know the 642B has a Mits engine but I'm just sharing my experience.
Thanks. I have points, cap, and rotor coming. But it's odd that it just started now after having this machine for years. Thanks

foton

I suppose that you could confirm this with a timing light, set it up and see where the timing is sitting and watch it as it heats up to see if the pulsing light remains stable or jumps all around.

foton

and I would start soaking around that spark plug that will not come out, several heat and cool off sessions might wick enought lube into the threads to get it out.

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Update:

I pulled the gas tank and checked the lines. All clear, no debris, and no cracks or deteriorating line. Blew air back through, all clear. Staring to think it's losing spark I guess. This is infuriating when I need the machine.

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Like I said I took out the tank and blew out the lines and I got it running, thank you all for the help. but.... with and open cab, no heat, and -40F wind chill here today, and having issues with it not running, I am looking at new-er (new to me) skid steers, maybe enclosed with heat. I don't want to spent $30k but my hands are burning with pain from the cold and I can't do this for 30 more years. Found a 2012 bobcat T190 for $35k w/ 2100hrs, a 2011 Cat 226b2 w/ 2100hrs for $30k, and a 2008 New Holland L185 w/ 2200hrs for $29k. Whats the better machine and price? These seem a bit high in price but I don't know.
Thanks

reaperman

Its a crazy time to buy anything with an engine. The T190 is probably priced at what it was new back in '12, but the Kubota engine is a plus. Cat are decent machines but cost $$ to repair, plus hand controls but maybe that's your thing. I could kick myself now when I bought my 753 open cab. They had the same used machine with similar hours and a cab for $2500 more. It wasn't the $$, I just figured 95% of the time I run without the door anyway. I guess I thought I would never get older and turn in to a wimp when plowing snow on my 1/3 mile long driveway but it happened. It looks like were both experiencing the same weather so cold and crazy wind. You can go on machinerytrader.com, then skid steers and look around to see what machines are selling for around the country, its a good reference.

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

our economy is garbage. I looked up what these machines values are and they are listed $10k- $15k plus what they are valued at. All enclosed machines are over $20k with over 2500 hrs. I'm just kinda lost. I wanted to get a new car or truck in the spring, but now this. I could maybe get a new-er unit and start doing some driveways to help with costs... Maybe I can sell mine for $7500, and get something for $30k. FRICK!!!!!

How are the Mitsubishi or perkins diesel engines?