642 project

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

renopker

Hello I'm new to this site and am restoring a 642 that burnt .My dad started on it 10 years a go and wants me to finish it. This is a ground up sand blasted painted all the bearing and chains replaced but the fire took alot and so if any anybody has a parts machine it wood make my day.I don't need any hyd.stuff as I have been throw them.

Tazza

Staff member
Good luck with the re-build, its a lot of work but the end results will be excellent. I have done 2 machines like this, and a third one i am currently working on.

Living Proof

Good luck with the re-build, its a lot of work but the end results will be excellent. I have done 2 machines like this, and a third one i am currently working on.
Hey Taz, as you've seen and helped me in other posts I have started on a 743 but I am wondering how much I should expect to spend? I got the machine at a decent price but you can sink alot of money fast and then I'm not sure it would ever recoop. Maybe just stop and buy a bigger, newer machine and have about the same money in it. since you have been there what do you think?

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Taz, as you've seen and helped me in other posts I have started on a 743 but I am wondering how much I should expect to spend? I got the machine at a decent price but you can sink alot of money fast and then I'm not sure it would ever recoop. Maybe just stop and buy a bigger, newer machine and have about the same money in it. since you have been there what do you think?
It really depends, whats wrong with it? or are you just making it look "pretty" ?

Living Proof

It really depends, whats wrong with it? or are you just making it look "pretty" ?
Well, it needs to be re-wired, nothing electrical works, has a lot of blow by, uses quart of oil every 3 hrs. and engine bogs down under lighter loads, which i guess means re-build or replace, hydraulic pump moans louder than I think it should, front cylinder leaks slightly, needs a muffler, altenator, seat will probably replace radiator, then make it look pretty (paint).

Tazza

Staff member
Well, it needs to be re-wired, nothing electrical works, has a lot of blow by, uses quart of oil every 3 hrs. and engine bogs down under lighter loads, which i guess means re-build or replace, hydraulic pump moans louder than I think it should, front cylinder leaks slightly, needs a muffler, altenator, seat will probably replace radiator, then make it look pretty (paint).
Ouch!
Ok, the wiring is very simple, if you have any ideas on how to wire things up you should be fine. I re-wired my 743 and had no problems. The engine really does sound sad... It will need a bit of a touch up to get it into shape. The alternators are cheap, you can get aftermarket ones i believe.