632 drive issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

4Site

Hi folks - new here. I have a 632 with about 4200 hours. I've only had it a short time 100 hours and it was working great (minor creep issue and some foot control adjustments needed). That said - it always seemed to make a bit of a "growling" sound when steering left or right... almost like it is resisting the motion. I had a 742b years ago - that did not seem to do that, but don't have a lot of experience with skid type vehicles. that said, It did not seem to affect the performance - so I have been ignoring it (prob my first mistake). About a two weeks ago I noticed my right rear seal was leaking into the rim. I checked fluid levels and it was ok, but a bit low. I used it lightly for about an hour and noticed that when I tried to turn right, the right lever would feel loose and started to not engage all time... then if I did it slowly, it would, but it I pushed it.... then fail again. A little while later (20 minutes), the same on the left side. If I shut the machine down (power down), then restart - it will steer/engage fine (with growl sound) for a few minutes then loose all drive. I checked and the hyd fluid was really low. I added fluid and after starting it, moving it and having it repeat the same pattern of working for a short bit, then not engaging (loose feeling handles)... it started working again. that said, it's still loosing fluid through the right rear axle AND lower reservoir is filling... so I was thinking one of my hyd drives is bad (or both) or just the associated seals? My hope is that it's just the rear axle seal... but am guessing that's only starting to leak and a reflection of the extra fluid in the reservoir... I called my bobcat dealer and they felt I needed to pull both hyd drives and have them rebuilt/resealed and fix the rear seal... pretty pricing in their shop for all the work ($4000). Any thoughts.. guidance on where to start? THX

Tazza

Staff member
Rear axle seals are not fun on this model, one piece axles means you need to take the whole thing out, so you need to remove the bolt from inside the chain case.
I have never done a seal or bearing on this model machine with it still mounted to the frame, i always had it removed from the machine for greater access.
Hopefully the oil leak into the chain case is just a seal and not a worn motor pushing fore fluid through the case drain lines and into the chain case if it can't get out fast enough.
Not sure what the cause of the steering lever not always engaging, but i'd start with the simple things.
Does the pump have a square block on it with 3 hoses going into the left side? if so, remove the middle hose and fiting and clean or replace the filter in there. If the pump starves for fluid, the pump will not work properly, giving the no drive on one side.

OP
OP

4Site

Rear axle seals are not fun on this model, one piece axles means you need to take the whole thing out, so you need to remove the bolt from inside the chain case.
I have never done a seal or bearing on this model machine with it still mounted to the frame, i always had it removed from the machine for greater access.
Hopefully the oil leak into the chain case is just a seal and not a worn motor pushing fore fluid through the case drain lines and into the chain case if it can't get out fast enough.
Not sure what the cause of the steering lever not always engaging, but i'd start with the simple things.
Does the pump have a square block on it with 3 hoses going into the left side? if so, remove the middle hose and fiting and clean or replace the filter in there. If the pump starves for fluid, the pump will not work properly, giving the no drive on one side.
Thx for the quick reply and some starting points Tazza. It's a 1979, so I am guessing a lot of the issues I will deal with (like others on here) have been "cleaned up" as the machines have advanced. The rear axle seal sounds like a challenge - but i'll give it a try - once I get my shop cleared out... snowing again today in WI. I'll verify the pump and associated filter as noted. For clarity - I never had "steering" related issues until the hydo fluid level dropped so low, so I am guessing that's the relationship... (just that weird sound - dealer thought I may have air in the line/fluid, but it was not foamy). Anyway - i'll start with the axle seal - add fluid and see where it takes me! Great forum/website here - so much that I seem to spend more time reading the threads here lately than actually working my machine or fixing it! Thx again - it may be a while before I post an update (get to the work) - so THANK YOU for now and more to come!

Latest posts