610 Bobcat (engine swap to a kubota)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CarlH

Hey Yall,
I am looking at buying a 610 (stock gas powered) bobcat skid steer. the guy is asking $3,500 (AS IS), it does not run (he is under the impression that it needs to be fully rebuilt), the machine looks like its been rebuilt some time back but the engine appears to never have had anywork. the good part is that it comes with lots of implements (backhoe, bucket, forks, scraper, and a smaller bucket). for those of you that know about these, is this a good deal? I am a pretty confident mechanic and have lots of tools (and we need a small skid steer) plus other heavy equipment if I need to fully disassemble it. I am also in no rush to have a working machine so if this does not work out I am in no rush.

my other question is I run mostly diesel equipment and would rather have a diesel skid steer (but with the cost of skid steers the gas ones are the only I can afford). I found a Kubota diesel V2203 that works and was pulled from a refrigeration unit the guy is asking $1900 (that seems like a fair price). is it possible to swap this engine into the 610?

Thanks

SkidRoe

Yes - without seeing it, I would say that $3500 seems like a good deal.

Diesel swap - that is going to be a challenge. The engine bay is not that wide in a 610, fitting in a V2203 with the expanding variable speed pulley that the 610 uses, will be nearly impossible without major structural modifications. And then the 610 is a clutch machine as well (not hydrostatic)...

If the Wisconsin is truly stuffed, I would suggest this as a possible option:

If you want an older diesel machine, see if you can find a 743.

Again - only my opinions.

OP
OP
C

CarlH

Yes - without seeing it, I would say that $3500 seems like a good deal.

Diesel swap - that is going to be a challenge. The engine bay is not that wide in a 610, fitting in a V2203 with the expanding variable speed pulley that the 610 uses, will be nearly impossible without major structural modifications. And then the 610 is a clutch machine as well (not hydrostatic)...

If the Wisconsin is truly stuffed, I would suggest this as a possible option:

If you want an older diesel machine, see if you can find a 743.

Again - only my opinions.
Do you know of any diesel conversions? I would prefer to do as little structural work as possible.

SkidRoe

Do you know of any diesel conversions? I would prefer to do as little structural work as possible.
Other than the 611 (which was built as a diesel - 2 cylinder Deutz), I am not immediately familiar with anyone who has converted one to a diesel. There are some air-cooled Chinese built V-twin diesels, but they are likely too under-powered for the 610.

OP
OP
C

CarlH

Other than the 611 (which was built as a diesel - 2 cylinder Deutz), I am not immediately familiar with anyone who has converted one to a diesel. There are some air-cooled Chinese built V-twin diesels, but they are likely too under-powered for the 610.
Would a two cinlinder duets work in a 610?

SkidRoe

Like I said, that was the way the 611 was from the factory. Same frame. Trick is finding one of those engines. Have a search on the Forum for more info.

OP
OP
C

CarlH

Ok thanks! I believe I saw a duetz two cylinder for sale some time back near me. I will try to find the specks

SkidRoe

FYI - the last digit of the model number on the pre T/S/A prefix machines was the type of engine they were equipped with:

0 = air cooled gas
1 = air cooled diesel
2 = liquid cooled gas
3 = liquid cooled diesel
4 = liquid cooled diesel on tracks

nathanjshaffer

I just bought a 610 that was repowered with a kubota d950. I'm in the process of getting the hydraulics working as the pump was shot. Waiting on a new one and working through replacing axle seals and flushing the hydro reservoir while I wait.

The d950 fits in the bay perfectly fine. Seemed to have plenty of power to load onto a trailer even with the drive clutches on one side not adjusted properly.

Wayne440

D950- length 19 in, width 16.7 in, height 22 in, weight about 183 lbs.

V2203-Length 26.3, Width, 20.0, Height, 25.0, weight about 397 lbs.

Looks to me like the D950 might be an easier swap, but somewhat less powerful.

Last edited:

robnz63

Hey Yall,
I am looking at buying a 610 (stock gas powered) bobcat skid steer. the guy is asking $3,500 (AS IS), it does not run (he is under the impression that it needs to be fully rebuilt), the machine looks like its been rebuilt some time back but the engine appears to never have had anywork. the good part is that it comes with lots of implements (backhoe, bucket, forks, scraper, and a smaller bucket). for those of you that know about these, is this a good deal? I am a pretty confident mechanic and have lots of tools (and we need a small skid steer) plus other heavy equipment if I need to fully disassemble it. I am also in no rush to have a working machine so if this does not work out I am in no rush.

my other question is I run mostly diesel equipment and would rather have a diesel skid steer (but with the cost of skid steers the gas ones are the only I can afford). I found a Kubota diesel V2203 that works and was pulled from a refrigeration unit the guy is asking $1900 (that seems like a fair price). is it possible to swap this engine into the 610?

Thanks
Skip it , wisconsin has come and gone, find a diesel case ss (1845) you will be way happier

2bobcats

Hey Yall,

Thanks
Find out what is wrong with your motor. They're not hard to work on
Hey Yall,

Thanks

OP
OP
C

CarlH

Find out what is wrong with your motor. They're not hard to work on
I finally talked to the guy over the phone. He said it was left out in the elements for several years. Cylinders are rusted tight into place. It would need to be machined and a total rebuild. As I said I would prefer a diesel machine when it's all said and done

OP
OP
C

CarlH

Skip it , wisconsin has come and gone, find a diesel case ss (1845) you will be way happier
I have looked. I am not ready to pay 10 grand for a machine that does not work (that's the cheapest I have seen them at)

OP
OP
C

CarlH

D950- length 19 in, width 16.7 in, height 22 in, weight about 183 lbs.

V2203-Length 26.3, Width, 20.0, Height, 25.0, weight about 397 lbs.

Looks to me like the D950 might be an easier swap, but somewhat less powerful.
Would the V2203 fit do you think? I have no clue what the engine bay is like on these machines?

Wayne440

Would the V2203 fit do you think? I have no clue what the engine bay is like on these machines?

I claim zero expertise- but I wouldn't try it myself. My guess is that fitting a V2203 would be impractical, if not impossible. Don't forget that there is more to the swap than sticking in the engine. Where will you put the radiator? You will need a substantial fan for that radiator too.

My advice- (1) Decide if your preference for a diesel is a deal breaker. (2a) if not, either buy a Wisconsin or re-power with Vanguard kit. (2b) if so, look for a diesel machine.

FWIW, to me you are buying the attachments and getting the remains of the 610 out of their way.

Hotrod1830

Why not repair the 610 wisconsin and sell it, keeping the attachments and using the money to buy a diesel machine? The wisconsin engines were used in everything!! There is no shortage of engines, parts or support. <p>
If swapping to diesel, you must also keep in mind that it is easy to apply more power than the drive sheaves where engineered to handle. I had a clutch machine and loved it. Even swapped in a bigger engine. loved it even more. Problem was it was outdated. Period. Engine swaps are alot more involved and pricey than people tend to realize. Coming from experience, If all you want is a diesel machine, save or fix/repair/trade up to the machine you want.
If you want the challenge of swapping in a diesel to a machine that didnt have one then by all means continue.
If you are willing to put that much work into a gasser and convert it to diesel, then you have the energy to buy a diesel machine that needs work.
Dont be afraid to buy a machine that needs transport. plenty of companies wiling to haul it to your door.

OP
OP
C

CarlH

thats one way to look at :0. but the machine is in great shape besides the engine. and I have no need for the implements without a machine (none of them will mount to our tractors). On top of all that the only other machine in my price range is a 2012 bobcat S150 that was burnt so it would be the same situation but it also has some major body damage (asking $3500)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarlH

that is true I suppose. but how much is the resell value of a 610? again I have minimal knowledge of skid steers (mostly tractors and trucks).

edit:
I was also just thinking if I did that there is no reason to buy all the implements with the machine (he would drop the price by $1000 and i could get the 610 with a bucket). the machine is 2 hrs from me and I am not a fan of hauling a tractor up to load it (he already said he has no way to load other than winching them up into the barns rafters and backing a trailer under em).
Why not repair the 610 wisconsin and sell it, keeping the attachments and using the money to buy a diesel machine? The wisconsin engines were used in everything!! There is no shortage of engines, parts or support. <p>
If swapping to diesel, you must also keep in mind that it is easy to apply more power than the drive sheaves where engineered to handle. I had a clutch machine and loved it. Even swapped in a bigger engine. loved it even more. Problem was it was outdated. Period. Engine swaps are alot more involved and pricey than people tend to realize. Coming from experience, If all you want is a diesel machine, save or fix/repair/trade up to the machine you want.
If you want the challenge of swapping in a diesel to a machine that didnt have one then by all means continue.
If you are willing to put that much work into a gasser and convert it to diesel, then you have the energy to buy a diesel machine that needs work.
Dont be afraid to buy a machine that needs transport. plenty of companies wiling to haul it to your door.

Last edited: