610 Axle Housing Nut Welded..options?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

eyebrowski

My rear axle seals need to be replaced and I found that a previous owner has welded one of the axle housing nuts. I'm guessing it stripped and this was the fix. What are my options? http://www.webuyandrent.com/bobcat610/axlenut.JPG

alchemysa

I dropped the pic into Tinypic... a good free site for posting photos. Copy and paste the Website link, not the Forum link.
Its quite a big job replacing the axle seals. You wanna be sure its worth it before you go ahead.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

I dropped the pic into Tinypic... a good free site for posting photos. Copy and paste the Website link, not the Forum link.
Its quite a big job replacing the axle seals. You wanna be sure its worth it before you go ahead.
Thank you for the pic help, I've struggled getting them posted on the forum. Would you recommend dealing with the leak?

alchemysa

Thank you for the pic help, I've struggled getting them posted on the forum. Would you recommend dealing with the leak?
" Would you recommend dealing with the leak? "
Well it would need to be pretty bad.
Have you got any up/down or in/out movement in the axle?

flyerdan

" Would you recommend dealing with the leak? "
Well it would need to be pretty bad.
Have you got any up/down or in/out movement in the axle?
That's a pretty nasty mess; if someone held a gun to me and made me weld a nut like that I'd put one good tack on an outside flat so it could be ground off later. Being on the inside it isn't even possible to get around it with a 3" disc cutter.
Probably the best way to get it off would be to cut through the nut and stud with a 6" skinny wheel and clean up the goober when the flange is on the table without the axle in the way. A bit of research as to what kind of stud it takes would be in order first as to what kind it is, threaded, splined or captured.

[email protected]

That's a pretty nasty mess; if someone held a gun to me and made me weld a nut like that I'd put one good tack on an outside flat so it could be ground off later. Being on the inside it isn't even possible to get around it with a 3" disc cutter.
Probably the best way to get it off would be to cut through the nut and stud with a 6" skinny wheel and clean up the goober when the flange is on the table without the axle in the way. A bit of research as to what kind of stud it takes would be in order first as to what kind it is, threaded, splined or captured.
TBH i'd sell the machine before i'd fix that. just my opinion.

alchemysa

TBH i'd sell the machine before i'd fix that. just my opinion.
Thats a weird weld. If it was just for a stripped thread the more logical and easier thing would to just put a weld across the top of the nut. Or, at most, put a tack at the front where it could be easily removed.(This weld doesn't actually even hold the nut onto the thread). I wonder if there was a crack in the housing. Or, are you sure its welded? Its not just hard caked mud that been painted over?

Tazza

Staff member
Thats a weird weld. If it was just for a stripped thread the more logical and easier thing would to just put a weld across the top of the nut. Or, at most, put a tack at the front where it could be easily removed.(This weld doesn't actually even hold the nut onto the thread). I wonder if there was a crack in the housing. Or, are you sure its welded? Its not just hard caked mud that been painted over?
Is it actually welded or is it just crud that was there and painted over?
I guess worst case, you could use a grinder and cut the bolt/nut off, but then you will need to remove the head of the bolt from inside the chain case too and weld a new one in.
You could possibly burn most of the nut off with a torch or plasma cutter leaving the bolt mostly intact. Gouge a part then try and rotate it to crack the weld off. If not enough, gouge a bit more and repeat.

6brnorma

Is it actually welded or is it just crud that was there and painted over?
I guess worst case, you could use a grinder and cut the bolt/nut off, but then you will need to remove the head of the bolt from inside the chain case too and weld a new one in.
You could possibly burn most of the nut off with a torch or plasma cutter leaving the bolt mostly intact. Gouge a part then try and rotate it to crack the weld off. If not enough, gouge a bit more and repeat.
That looks a lot more like someone tried to repair a cracked hub rather then weld a stripped nut. As I see it, "IF" I am right….here are your options…..
1) 'IF' it is not leaking through the crack….the bearings, seals and 'speedie' sleeve can all be installed without removing the hub.
2) My opinion (purely conjecture) is the stud is not stripped so use a "slicer" blade and cut the weld around the nut and then try to break the nut free to back it off and remove that hub……get a new/used hub (I've got lots).
3) That is a stud…not a bolt, so, if you cut it off you will need to weld a new stud in place or drill through the body to use a bolt (provided there is room)….and….
4) Let'er drip...

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

That looks a lot more like someone tried to repair a cracked hub rather then weld a stripped nut. As I see it, "IF" I am right….here are your options…..
1) 'IF' it is not leaking through the crack….the bearings, seals and 'speedie' sleeve can all be installed without removing the hub.
2) My opinion (purely conjecture) is the stud is not stripped so use a "slicer" blade and cut the weld around the nut and then try to break the nut free to back it off and remove that hub……get a new/used hub (I've got lots).
3) That is a stud…not a bolt, so, if you cut it off you will need to weld a new stud in place or drill through the body to use a bolt (provided there is room)….and….
4) Let'er drip...
That makes a lot of sense that this is a hub repair rather than a welded nut. The manual says to remove the 4 hub nuts then use an axle puller to pull the axle. Can you detail how to change the seals with out removing the hub? If I can change the seals without removing the hub that would probably be the easiest fix.

alchemysa

That makes a lot of sense that this is a hub repair rather than a welded nut. The manual says to remove the 4 hub nuts then use an axle puller to pull the axle. Can you detail how to change the seals with out removing the hub? If I can change the seals without removing the hub that would probably be the easiest fix.
Have you checked that its not just a load of hardened dirt thats been painted over?
Anyway, as per your question, its still a big job to replace the seals even if you do not remove the hub. (In fact its probably easier if you can remove the hub). Its not like a car axle where you can just slide the axle out. You have to remove the inner axle nut, remove the side cover, loosen and remove chains, loosen tensioners, etc, etc, etc,.
Yes, 6brnorma said you can do it without removing the hub. He didn't say it was easy.

6brnorma

Have you checked that its not just a load of hardened dirt thats been painted over?
Anyway, as per your question, its still a big job to replace the seals even if you do not remove the hub. (In fact its probably easier if you can remove the hub). Its not like a car axle where you can just slide the axle out. You have to remove the inner axle nut, remove the side cover, loosen and remove chains, loosen tensioners, etc, etc, etc,.
Yes, 6brnorma said you can do it without removing the hub. He didn't say it was easy.
In fact….it is much easier to do with the hub off….and you'll be more confident of your work when completed. Again…those hubs are not hard to find used.

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

In fact….it is much easier to do with the hub off….and you'll be more confident of your work when completed. Again…those hubs are not hard to find used.
6brnorma, shoot me an email if you'd be willing to sell a hub. eyebrowski at gmail dot com I'm going to cut this thing off and fix it right.

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

alchemysa, HOLY COW! I just went at it with a chisel and sure enough it was painted dirt. Wow. Feel like an idiot but relieved all at the same time. Unbelievable.

Tazza

Staff member
alchemysa, HOLY COW! I just went at it with a chisel and sure enough it was painted dirt. Wow. Feel like an idiot but relieved all at the same time. Unbelievable.
You won't have been the first to be fooled by painted dirt :) People go over a machine with a rattle can to pretty it up before selling, covering dirt and all.

6brnorma

You won't have been the first to be fooled by painted dirt :) People go over a machine with a rattle can to pretty it up before selling, covering dirt and all.
Laughing with you…..been there and done that.