610 Alternator belt R&R

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skidlake

Im helping a friend do some maint on his mid 80ies 610 with the 4 cyl gas Wisc engine. We've done the clutches and fluids and noticed the alternator belt is shot. Pulled the tin,loosened the alt and then realized the belt isnt coming off without pulling part of the right side drive as the alt drive pulley is on the output shaft for the right side sprockets.. I do see a collar with a set screw on the inboard of the lower drive pulley, but still dont see whats whats as far as tear down. We have the OE parts manual which is pretty vauge pics wise. Any direction would be greatly appreciated on getting the belt done. Thank You!

foton

I had a 500 and did this , I went to harbor freight and bought a linked v-belt , they are made well and can be used with out taking any thing apart. And a plus they actually reduce running vibration off the belt. It worked so well I used one on my table saw , now it runs smoother too. I will say this you need to make sure you buy the correct belt width, as several sizes are available. Also they came be made to any length you need, you will need to buy another kit.

bwthor

Should be able to remove that bolt pinching the collar to the splined shaft, then remove the bolts from the bracket and pump holding the pump in place. The splined shaft of the pump will slide off and be able to be moved out of the way enough to pass the belt between.

Mustang Guy

I had a 500 and did this , I went to harbor freight and bought a linked v-belt , they are made well and can be used with out taking any thing apart. And a plus they actually reduce running vibration off the belt. It worked so well I used one on my table saw , now it runs smoother too. I will say this you need to make sure you buy the correct belt width, as several sizes are available. Also they came be made to any length you need, you will need to buy another kit.
I installed a HF linked belt on my dozer 500 hrs ago and it's still going strong. Two days ago I installed a linked belt on my Yanmar powered Mustang 2042. I'm not sure if many are aware, but to get the most life (like, eternal) out of these belts, they must be installed correctly. The "tails" on the underside of the belt must be trailing in the direction of rotation. A lot of the Chinese made linked belts are available on Amazon. If you want the real-deal-meal go here -