543 HARD START

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buddy

MY 543 STARTS FINE WHEN AT LOW ALTATUDE HOWEVER IT HAS A REALLY HARD TIME AT 10'000 FT. HAVE TO USE GLOW PLUGS SEVERAL TIMES @ 60 SEC. INTERVALS. THEN SHE'LL FINALLY START. FORGET ABOUT COLD DAYS... IS THERE A TEST FOR INDIVIDUAL GLOW PLUGS HOPEFULLY SOMETHING SIMPLE WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE EACH ONE ? THOUGHT ABOUT TAKING HEAT TEMP BEFORE WARM UP WITH LAZER ? POINT GUAGE AT PLUG THEN RECORD. READ TEMP IN SAME SPOT AFTER PLUGS ACTIVATED ? HAS ANYBODY TRIED THIS ? SEEMS ANY INCREASE IN TEMP WOULD SIGNAL THEY ARE AT LEAST HEATING UP...HOW ABOUT OHMS TEST ? PLEASE HELP... MARK

Tazza

Staff member
First off
capslock.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
First off
It sounds very odd. Petrol engines do have issues with high altitude as there is less oxygen, i didn't know Diesels had a big issue with it. Adjusting the injection timing may help.
As for the glow plugs, a temperature gauge won't tell you much. The issue with plugs is that they may still be heating, just not in the rite area. They must glow all the way to the tip. I had a set that looked hour glass shaped, they only glowed at the base, which was essentially useless.