542B Running at High idle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jayhojo

I have a 542 that the throttle was working fine. I tried to start it a few weeks later and it would not start. I had a second person turn it over and I manually adjusted the throttle and it started. But it only ran at HIGH idle regardless of throttle handle position. I found the linkage from the governor to the carb was really sloppy so I replaced the collar and washers. This helped and now I can start the machine without help but it runs at med to high idle and I have no real control of the throttle. I have tried to search this website and didn't find much. I looked at the prints online but it doesn't show the carb parts well. I don't see any return spring on the throttle. There seems to be nothing to maintain tension on the throttle (return to low). I am hoping someone has a picture of a 542 (>12000) or idea of what the problem is. Thanks Jay

Tazza

Staff member
Have you checked or replaced your air filter?
It could be dirt in the carb too....

craigb93

Have you checked or replaced your air filter?
It could be dirt in the carb too....
Do a search and find the Length of the Carb-to-Governor Rod. Adjust it and the Governor will work correctly. Also the Throttle Butterfly will close against the idle stop. Hoof makes the governor and somewhere on their site you will find the specified link length in Adjustment Procedure Details. Since you said you worked on the linkage it is probably off a bit. -Dick

OP
OP
J

jayhojo

replaced air filter about 40 hours ago, checked, almost like new. may pull carb after the snow stops.
I will look for the length, I didn't make any adjustments to the governor or linkages. All I did is replace pivot bushing and washers. thanks for the tip I will give it a shot.