500 Bobcat Driven Sheave

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MTANA

Greetings. Working on an old (sn 4075) 500. Trying to get the driven sheave axel out. The manual shows a "lock ring" getting turned 3/4 turn to the right with a punch and a hammer. Can't get mine to release. Any tricks to this? Or is it just being difficult? I see its been out before (tool marks on bolt head for gear puller and dings on the lock ring hole, not the set screw hole) And yes I got the set screw out. Any help would be great. Its probably in here some place, but I have a hard time trying to navigate through searches. Thanks in advance. Nic Nelson

mmsllc

I am NO expert at all of these models, but you might want to clean all of the grease& dirt off that sheave. You might just find a SECOND set screw. In the industrial application, plenty of shafts will have TWO set screws for added surety.

OP
OP
M

MTANA

I am NO expert at all of these models, but you might want to clean all of the grease& dirt off that sheave. You might just find a SECOND set screw. In the industrial application, plenty of shafts will have TWO set screws for added surety.
I'm not trying to get the sheave off (yet) Trying to get the axel shaft out. Remove the left side cover, chain, sprocket, and behind to sprocket is a "lock ring". Thats what I need information on. And yes I did look for a second set screw. Thx

OP
OP
M

MTANA

I'm not trying to get the sheave off (yet) Trying to get the axel shaft out. Remove the left side cover, chain, sprocket, and behind to sprocket is a "lock ring". Thats what I need information on. And yes I did look for a second set screw. Thx
Got it off. The diagram in the manual shows the lock collar being tapped off with a hammer and punch in the clockwise direction. After several tries with that, I went counter clockwise to try and work some play into it. It came off in the counter clockwise direction! Had to take the shaft and sheave assembly through the bottem, couldn"t figure out the chinnese jigsaw puzzle to get it out the top. Now alls I have to do is make a bushing for the sheave or replace it.

6brnorma

Got it off. The diagram in the manual shows the lock collar being tapped off with a hammer and punch in the clockwise direction. After several tries with that, I went counter clockwise to try and work some play into it. It came off in the counter clockwise direction! Had to take the shaft and sheave assembly through the bottem, couldn"t figure out the chinnese jigsaw puzzle to get it out the top. Now alls I have to do is make a bushing for the sheave or replace it.
Couple of things MTANA….. First… the serial number you gave is for a 1965 M444, if you have a M500 there is a number missing. Second…. that is an 'eccentric' locking collar…. it is locked in the direction of the rotation of the shaft … left side, counter clockwise and right side, clockwise.

OP
OP
M

MTANA

Couple of things MTANA….. First… the serial number you gave is for a 1965 M444, if you have a M500 there is a number missing. Second…. that is an 'eccentric' locking collar…. it is locked in the direction of the rotation of the shaft … left side, counter clockwise and right side, clockwise.
Interesting information. The data plate is completely wiped out except the stamped in numbers which are 4075 and about inch and a half over is 500. That's the only information I have on it. Except for the lift arm gusset which says Bobcat 500. But, its all back together and working so far. Thanks for the info guys

6brnorma

Interesting information. The data plate is completely wiped out except the stamped in numbers which are 4075 and about inch and a half over is 500. That's the only information I have on it. Except for the lift arm gusset which says Bobcat 500. But, its all back together and working so far. Thanks for the info guys
Good deal…. if she's working, that's all that really matters.