4G32 engine replacements

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Reds Skid Steers

Anybody have any experience with buying an engine from the sources you see on the internet where they have tons of engines for sale?

brdgbldr

Has anybody even done an engine replacement in their skid steer???
There are several posts on here about different engine replacements.

This company rebuilds 4G32 engines:

Not sure, but they may sell the parts to rebuild yourself.

OP
OP
R

Reds Skid Steers

There are several posts on here about different engine replacements.

This company rebuilds 4G32 engines:

Not sure, but they may sell the parts to rebuild yourself.
Thanks brdgbldr! I see you had a few earlier model skids. Why did you get rid of them and get an A300?

brdgbldr

Thanks brdgbldr! I see you had a few earlier model skids. Why did you get rid of them and get an A300?
Good question. Main reason for selling any of them is that I only own a 1/4 acre piece of property. No room for a fleet like I would prefer.

I bought my first skid steer almost 20 years ago just to plow my road. It ran ok, propane conversion, but had many weld patches and needed seals and bearings. I learned a lot and somewhat enjoyed working on the machine.

Then came to economic recession of 2008. I started hitting the local auctions and picked up two more machines. I ended up fixing them up as a hobby and sold the original machine and one other for a profit. I kept the 742B for several years working on it when I had time. Great machine but engine parts became a game to find.

Then a year ago, just after I retired, I decided I wanted a bigger machine and found the A300 for sale locally and picked it up. It runs well but needed some work.

While working on it in my yard. A local came by and started asking me where he could buy a used skid steer for around $10,000. I told him I would sell him the 742B since I just really didn't have to room for 2 machines. So that machine was sold.

Now I kind of regret selling the 742B since I had plans on converting it to duel fuel (I still have all the propane parts) and the A300 has so many electronics. I'm constantly paranoid that something electronic will die that I won't be able to figure out on my own.

I've already had to have a field tech come out because I rebuilt the steering cylinders and the steering can only be aligned with the Bobcat software (there went $850). Also, the wheel positioning sensors have been out of stock for at least a year now. I'd like to have a couple of spares on hand.

Anyway, there is my long story.

OP
OP
R

Reds Skid Steers

That's great. I love to hear the stories of how people use and maintain there skid steers. I really like the 742b. Fairly easy to work on. But getting parts is tough now. I'm getting to old to work on stuff, like I use to. I'm going to be 64 in May and there are some days I wonder why I do the stuff I do. Lol But anyway, I'm now needing an engine for my 742b, but there is a lot of sites out there selling junk. I had to laugh when I contacted my local bobcat dealer and asked how much it would be for them to pull and replace the engine with a rebuilt. They quoted me "$15,000. I actually started laughing (alot) at the guy. I told him that's insane! What a rip off! So my local mechanic friend said he could do it but still around the 5 or 6 grand amount. Too much for my blood at this time. Not sure what I'm going to do as I have done alot to the machine. I have 4 different attachments for it but would sort of like to keep them in case I buy a different machine. Well gotta run for now. Take it easy and hope to talk with you soon.

brdgbldr

That's great. I love to hear the stories of how people use and maintain their skid steers. I really like the 742b. Fairly easy to work on. But getting parts is tough now. I'm getting too old to work on stuff, like I use to. I'm going to be 64 in May and there are some days I wonder why I do the stuff I do. Lol But anyway, I'm now needing an engine for my 742b, but there is a lot of sites out there selling junk. I had to laugh when I contacted my local bobcat dealer and asked how much it would be for them to pull and replace the engine with a rebuilt. They quoted me "$15,000. I actually started laughing (alot) at the guy. I told him that's insane! What a rip off! So my local mechanic friend said he could do it but still around the 5 or 6 grand amount. Too much for my blood at this time. Not sure what I'm going to do as I have done alot to the machine. I have 4 different attachments for it but would sort of like to keep them in case I buy a different machine. Well gotta run for now. Take it easy and hope to talk with you soon.
One Idea I was thinking of for a project was swapping out the engine for an electric motor.

All you need is an electric motor with a similar horsepower and RPM that can be hooked up to the pump. A way to control the the RPM and a bunch of batteries.

Years ago I saw a video of someone that had done this and it worked great. Now with all of the electric cars out there I would think it would be getting a lot easier, and cheaper, to do a conversion like this.

Dave1234

Good question. Main reason for selling any of them is that I only own a 1/4 acre piece of property. No room for a fleet like I would prefer.

I bought my first skid steer almost 20 years ago just to plow my road. It ran ok, propane conversion, but had many weld patches and needed seals and bearings. I learned a lot and somewhat enjoyed working on the machine.

Then came to economic recession of 2008. I started hitting the local auctions and picked up two more machines. I ended up fixing them up as a hobby and sold the original machine and one other for a profit. I kept the 742B for several years working on it when I had time. Great machine but engine parts became a game to find.

Then a year ago, just after I retired, I decided I wanted a bigger machine and found the A300 for sale locally and picked it up. It runs well but needed some work.

While working on it in my yard. A local came by and started asking me where he could buy a used skid steer for around $10,000. I told him I would sell him the 742B since I just really didn't have to room for 2 machines. So that machine was sold.

Now I kind of regret selling the 742B since I had plans on converting it to duel fuel (I still have all the propane parts) and the A300 has so many electronics. I'm constantly paranoid that something electronic will die that I won't be able to figure out on my own.

I've already had to have a field tech come out because I rebuilt the steering cylinders and the steering can only be aligned with the Bobcat software (there went $850). Also, the wheel positioning sensors have been out of stock for at least a year now. I'd like to have a couple of spares on hand.

Anyway, there is my long story.
Hi Brdgblder. Above you said you still have the 742 B propane conversion--do you still have it and do you want to sell it? Did it work well when you removed it?
Thanks
Dave

brdgbldr

Hi Brdgblder. Above you said you still have the 742 B propane conversion--do you still have it and do you want to sell it? Did it work well when you removed it?
Thanks
Dave
I still have it. It is brand new, never installed. It is a duel fuel kit so you can keep the gas also. It Is missing one of the fuel shutoff solenoids, I used it on the 742B. I had bought other parts besides the kit also like metal "t" to pump hot water to the mixer.

I will have to dig it out and see what all extra is there and figure out a price.

Dave1234

Thanks
Dave
Thank you. Please let me know what you find please And do you remember where you got it?

Thanks
Dave

Dave1234

Thanks
Dave
Thank you. Please let me know what you find please And do you remember where you got it?

Thanks
Dave

brdgbldr

Thanks
Dave
I got the kit from Nash Fuel.

It may take me a few days to take a look at what I have. I've got a lot going on right now.

Sczmtns

So last year I rebuilt my 4g32 in my 742b.

Pistons were the hard part.

Most other parts, belts, plugs, alternator, water pump, gasket kit, were easy to find.

I reached out to many of those places that advertise rebuilt 4g32 engines and none had pistons so I wonder how they were going to do it.

Specs are hard to find for the engine, like which specific pistons it needs. I bought a set from Hacus that said 4g32, no go. They took them back. I found a set for the g32b on ebay and they looked like the old ones and it's been running smooth with them in it.

In my research I found a lot of references in this forum about converting to the 4g63, seemed like that engine was more popular and parts more available?

Mine runs propane, was there when I got it, replaced the insides as part of the rebuild.

Dave1234

So last year I rebuilt my 4g32 in my 742b.

Pistons were the hard part.

Most other parts, belts, plugs, alternator, water pump, gasket kit, were easy to find.

I reached out to many of those places that advertise rebuilt 4g32 engines and none had pistons so I wonder how they were going to do it.

Specs are hard to find for the engine, like which specific pistons it needs. I bought a set from Hacus that said 4g32, no go. They took them back. I found a set for the g32b on ebay and they looked like the old ones and it's been running smooth with them in it.

In my research I found a lot of references in this forum about converting to the 4g63, seemed like that engine was more popular and parts more available?

Mine runs propane, was there when I got it, replaced the insides as part of the rebuild.
Were there any other identifying marks on your new pistons that worked? Manufacturer? And the ones that didn't work--were they for an automobile 4g32 and might have fit and worked, or just clearly wrong, like way too big? And were yours dished or flat on top?

Sczmtns

So... attached is all the info I found regarding the 4g32 pistons... I was never quite sure which ones were the correct ones. You can see in the pictures what they look like and some of the images in the PDF's are similar.

Specs according to the 742b shop manual for 4g32 piston OD: 76.86-89
Ring 1: 1.52-54
Ring 2: 1.51-53
Oil Ring 4.02-05

So you kind of get all the cross reference stuff. The part number MD012765 is found in the G32B Turbo / Commercial 4G32 and the 4G32 forklift pdf, although the pictures are a little different for the ones that do have them.

Also attached is the BOX the pistons came in (note it says 4G32R NOT G32B I guess I got that mixed up in my memory bank!)

So that is what I've come up with so far. I found the pistons on ebay.

And... these are the ones that did not fit at all.. I do not remember what was out of spec, but I "think" they were too small... but I also "thought" the pistions I did get were for the G32B! So... consider that!

Good luck. Happy to share other photos/info if I have them
Adam

Attachments

• NPR Mitsubishi g32.pdf
    184.5 KB · Views: 81
  • NPR Commercial Vehicle.pdf
    135.8 KB · Views: 74
  • ForkLift and Medium Sized Diesel.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 81
  • New Piston Box.jpg
    New Piston Box.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 58
  • old piston 1.jpg
    old piston 1.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 61
  • old piston 2.jpg
    old piston 2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 65

Dave1234

Thank you for those details. These are great details Looks like you got really lucky to not only find any pistons, but the right oversize too.

Interesting that these seem to be for the turbo version also, meaning low compression. Have you done a compression test and if so what is your cylinder pressure?

And, this is confusing to me from your post--"And... these are the ones that did not fit at all.. I do not remember what was out of spec, but I "think" they were too small... but I also "thought" the pistons I did get were for the G32B!" Did you mean to also include a part number or other description of teh ones that didn't work, or was this ("and these are...") just a typo?

Thank you, and thank you for the compliment.

Sczmtns

Thank you for those details. These are great details Looks like you got really lucky to not only find any pistons, but the right oversize too.

Interesting that these seem to be for the turbo version also, meaning low compression. Have you done a compression test and if so what is your cylinder pressure?

And, this is confusing to me from your post--"And... these are the ones that did not fit at all.. I do not remember what was out of spec, but I "think" they were too small... but I also "thought" the pistons I did get were for the G32B!" Did you mean to also include a part number or other description of teh ones that didn't work, or was this ("and these are...") just a typo?

Thank you, and thank you for the compliment.
Sorry about that, these are the ones that didn't fit.
FPE Piston (.50MM) Mitsubishi/Caterpillar MD009591 Hacus - New

Thanks for clarifying!
Adam

Dave1234

Thank you for that detail also.! Working together we all should be able to share enough details to keep our aged machines working for a long time.