463 no start blows smoke w/kubota 1L engine 80 hrs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brian hh

Hello this is my first time on this forum. We have this 463 thats 1or 2 years old and ran fine until my superviser lent it to some outher workers they had it for a few weeks and sayed it was hard to start and it smoked alot I sayed dont you think you should not use it if it smokes ? but thats a long story I drained the fuel and ran 1/2 gal of diesel thru the injector pump bleading the system and it still wont start the glow plugs are ok and the air cleaner is not pluged any outher sugestions? Thank you Brian HH

Tazza

Staff member
White smoke?
I'd start with a compression test, if you are sure the glow plugs are ok and it still blows white smoke start there. It could be injectors too, black smoke when it was running (i'm assuming black) could be leaky injectors. Compression should be in the high 400's.
Sorry i can't give much more info than that, you can only start by checking a few things and work from there. Hopefully its nothing too major.

Iowa Dave

White smoke?
I'd start with a compression test, if you are sure the glow plugs are ok and it still blows white smoke start there. It could be injectors too, black smoke when it was running (i'm assuming black) could be leaky injectors. Compression should be in the high 400's.
Sorry i can't give much more info than that, you can only start by checking a few things and work from there. Hopefully its nothing too major.
Make sure the fuel solenoid is opening all the way. My 463 wouldn't start--but there wasn't much smoke-- and the fuel solenoid wasn't opening. Turn on the key, wait a few seconds, and turn the key back off. You should here a pronounced "click" from the front of the motor when the solenoid moves. Probably not it since lots of smoke, but a simple thing to eliminate.

scar99

I have seen two problems with the 463. If they tipped it over side ways while running the engine oil can run from the valve cover into the intake manifold thru the breather hose and bend connecting rods. The other is the aux lever if it is stuck in detent it will smoke and start hard. Your lift and tilt functions would also not work correctly. The arms would go up but not down.

OP
OP
B

brian hh

I have seen two problems with the 463. If they tipped it over side ways while running the engine oil can run from the valve cover into the intake manifold thru the breather hose and bend connecting rods. The other is the aux lever if it is stuck in detent it will smoke and start hard. Your lift and tilt functions would also not work correctly. The arms would go up but not down.
Thanks for the quick replys . Yes, its white smoke and a lot of it. the last time I seen it running it was fine but it may have been tiped I had noticed they moved a lot of big concrete rubble with it. I am not the mancanic at this job but I do fix things if I can. Our macanic wont be able to look at it till july I work for the national park service so you know what kinda guys I work with. I will check the valve cover breather the compression I can't do but I am going to shut off the fuel and see if that helps ( shot in the dark) Thanks for all the sugestions! brian hh

OP
OP
B

brian hh

Thanks for the quick replys . Yes, its white smoke and a lot of it. the last time I seen it running it was fine but it may have been tiped I had noticed they moved a lot of big concrete rubble with it. I am not the mancanic at this job but I do fix things if I can. Our macanic wont be able to look at it till july I work for the national park service so you know what kinda guys I work with. I will check the valve cover breather the compression I can't do but I am going to shut off the fuel and see if that helps ( shot in the dark) Thanks for all the sugestions! brian hh
YES!! Thank you all, the last operator left the aux on like "scar99" sugested so the pressure must of have been to great to start. it Now it runs fine. Thanks to scarr99, Tazza and Iowa dave for all the help I like this site and I will visit from time to time. Thank you Brian hh