444M for fun

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Madhafer

Hi, Haffy here. I'm new to the forum, thought I'd throw out a quick post. I've taken a liking to the older machines, currently have a 444 that I'm just finishing up a refurbish on. It was a shell with a couple seized engines that I managed to get my hands on cheap! She's now up and running, just working out some bugs. It's not returned to original specs, just built to look cool and much around the house with. Any other 300, 400, 500 or 600 enthusiasts out there?

Tazza

Staff member
Great to hear you have managed to fix up your old 444, there are quite a few older machines out there that people use daily. They may be old, but they do the same job and no fancy electronics to cause issues.

foton

Great to hear you have managed to fix up your old 444, there are quite a few older machines out there that people use daily. They may be old, but they do the same job and no fancy electronics to cause issues.
I have a 500 that was save from the scrap yard it has been repowered and converted to chain drive . It is slow but I am retired soooo. it is ok.

SkidRoe

I have a 500 that was save from the scrap yard it has been repowered and converted to chain drive . It is slow but I am retired soooo. it is ok.
Hi Foton,
Glad to hear you saved your machine. What did you repower your machine with? And which drive did you convert to chain?
Thanks - SR

foton

Hi Foton,
Glad to hear you saved your machine. What did you repower your machine with? And which drive did you convert to chain?
Thanks - SR
I used a Wisconsin tdj 18.2 hp inline 2 cylinder( I used this cause it was free) , direct powered off the flywheel a the hydro pump and the belt drive was junk so I used series 60H chain , a 16 tooth sprocket on the engine a 32 tooth on the jack shaft and put a tensioner sprocket in the center.

SkidRoe

I used a Wisconsin tdj 18.2 hp inline 2 cylinder( I used this cause it was free) , direct powered off the flywheel a the hydro pump and the belt drive was junk so I used series 60H chain , a 16 tooth sprocket on the engine a 32 tooth on the jack shaft and put a tensioner sprocket in the center.
That sounds great! I like that you even fixed it up on the frugal side.
Did the 500 not have a variable speed pulley set up?
Cheers - SR

foton

That sounds great! I like that you even fixed it up on the frugal side.
Did the 500 not have a variable speed pulley set up?
Cheers - SR
it was junk who ever had it before had not greased it and the ID of the pulley was why outta spec. It also wore around .025 off the OD of the engine's crank. I guess it was vibrating so much that the pulley had stress cracks in it, so I made it simpler . I am in search for a newer model skid steer , but this will do until I stumble on a deal.

jocww

Just bought a 443, looking to make convert the quick attach to todays standards so that i can use something other than my bucket