442 mini excavator overheating... need help please

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

unlhuskersone

can run the machine about 15 minutes then the buzzer starts beeping. No warning lights on the dash light up only the engine temperature needle is running in the red. Have been laser shooting temperatures on engine running around about 200 degrees and the output on the oil cooling radiator is around 175 to 180 degrees. What I have done to this point is install a new thermostat...didn't make difference so needing suggestions. I did notice the cylinders on digging arm were extremely hot to the touch when It overheats. It has the Deutz engine and is oil cooled. I have cleaned the radiators also.

Tazza

Staff member
Is it possible that the temperature sender is bad?
I'm assuming it's engine temperature and not hydraulic oil temperature?

OP
OP
U

unlhuskersone

Is it possible that the temperature sender is bad?
I'm assuming it's engine temperature and not hydraulic oil temperature?
This machine is new used to me so I'm learning on the fly. I have been trying to determine what the beeper is trying to tell me... the only gauge that is telling me something is the engine oil temperature which is running in the red and will keep on climbing if I run the machine after the alarm. The temps with the gun tells me that the engine oil is fine so I'm leaning to start looking into the hydraulic system. As the machine warms up it seems to loose digging power. Another gentlemen on this site stated that he changed the hydraulic filter and that solved his similar problem. Doing some more testing tomorrow check some temps on the hydraulics. Any ideas on what temperature the hydraulics oil should run?

OP
OP
U

unlhuskersone

This machine is new used to me so I'm learning on the fly. I have been trying to determine what the beeper is trying to tell me... the only gauge that is telling me something is the engine oil temperature which is running in the red and will keep on climbing if I run the machine after the alarm. The temps with the gun tells me that the engine oil is fine so I'm leaning to start looking into the hydraulic system. As the machine warms up it seems to loose digging power. Another gentlemen on this site stated that he changed the hydraulic filter and that solved his similar problem. Doing some more testing tomorrow check some temps on the hydraulics. Any ideas on what temperature the hydraulics oil should run?
so here is what I found out today while running machine. It took about fifteen minutes for the machine to overheat keep in mind this was first thing in the morning and cool temps. checked temperatures with temp gun let it sit for about ten minutes then fired her back up again. this time she ran about 40 - 45 minutes before the buzzer went off. What I saw during that time was the engine oil temp gauge working properly... would start to rise and then drop like it should then it never dropped down just steadily rose until the buzzer went off. It is definitely the engine oil cooling system, I'm 99% sure of this. does anyone know what the oil control valve does, there is two of them one on top of the other just below the thermostat they are the same except the springs are different also going to look into the oil sending unit.

Tazza

Staff member
so here is what I found out today while running machine. It took about fifteen minutes for the machine to overheat keep in mind this was first thing in the morning and cool temps. checked temperatures with temp gun let it sit for about ten minutes then fired her back up again. this time she ran about 40 - 45 minutes before the buzzer went off. What I saw during that time was the engine oil temp gauge working properly... would start to rise and then drop like it should then it never dropped down just steadily rose until the buzzer went off. It is definitely the engine oil cooling system, I'm 99% sure of this. does anyone know what the oil control valve does, there is two of them one on top of the other just below the thermostat they are the same except the springs are different also going to look into the oil sending unit.
Sadly i have never worked on an oil cooled engine, but as you say, there has to be something that regulates the temperature and it sounds like it's sticking.

bingoo

Sadly i have never worked on an oil cooled engine, but as you say, there has to be something that regulates the temperature and it sounds like it's sticking.
it may sound stupid but clean your radiator fins on both sides . clean them real good and make sure your oil cooler is clean to . the back side is hard to see if there is dirt . I have a number of machines that acted like yours and this usually was a common problem . good luck

7LBSSMALLIE

it may sound stupid but clean your radiator fins on both sides . clean them real good and make sure your oil cooler is clean to . the back side is hard to see if there is dirt . I have a number of machines that acted like yours and this usually was a common problem . good luck
take a close look at youre dipstick. does it have little plastic ribs. are any of them broken. this a classic deutz over heat issue. if they are repost and ill explain where to find the pieces.

7LBSSMALLIE

take a close look at youre dipstick. does it have little plastic ribs. are any of them broken. this a classic deutz over heat issue. if they are repost and ill explain where to find the pieces.
I assume this issue has been resolved. if so please close case

7LBSSMALLIE

I assume this issue has been resolved. if so please close case
once again back to reading cases that may or may not be fixed. no feed back.i think im done that's 18 yrs of bobcat 10 of case 4of jd, yes I would still like to help when I can. but its a two way street.

antfarmer2

once again back to reading cases that may or may not be fixed. no feed back.i think im done that's 18 yrs of bobcat 10 of case 4of jd, yes I would still like to help when I can. but its a two way street.
I know what your saying but hang in there ..........there are a lot of folks like me that are still learning and I do thank you Ant