440b stops running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

redbarn

I have 440b with a kohler gas engine, after running it about 20 minutes it suddenly dies. I let it sit overnight then it starts right up. what is causing this? thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It could be the routing of the fuel lines, if they get to hot the fuel vaporizes in the hose called vapor lock. It prevents the fuel getting to the carb as a liquid and the engine will stall and will not start till it gets liquid again. I am assuming you are talking petrol and not actual gas/LPG/Propane.
If it runs an ignition coil it could be bad too, causing a weak spark. Could be a carb issue over fueling the engine so its flooded and will not start.
That gives you a few things to start with i guess.

jerry

It could be the routing of the fuel lines, if they get to hot the fuel vaporizes in the hose called vapor lock. It prevents the fuel getting to the carb as a liquid and the engine will stall and will not start till it gets liquid again. I am assuming you are talking petrol and not actual gas/LPG/Propane.
If it runs an ignition coil it could be bad too, causing a weak spark. Could be a carb issue over fueling the engine so its flooded and will not start.
That gives you a few things to start with i guess.
If it is like the wisconsin engines it may have a sensor on the head which cuts the spark if the engine gets too hot. clean the dirt and dust off it if any.

OP
OP
R

redbarn

If it is like the wisconsin engines it may have a sensor on the head which cuts the spark if the engine gets too hot. clean the dirt and dust off it if any.
I checked for spark after it quit and it did not have any. i checked it again a couple of hours later and it had spark? It is a kohler 16.5 hp engine. the year is a 1985 model, i am not familiar with this type of engine. It looks like it has a magneto? I am not sure about any sensors, as i do not have a service manual for this.... thanks for any help / advise...

OldMachinist

I checked for spark after it quit and it did not have any. i checked it again a couple of hours later and it had spark? It is a kohler 16.5 hp engine. the year is a 1985 model, i am not familiar with this type of engine. It looks like it has a magneto? I am not sure about any sensors, as i do not have a service manual for this.... thanks for any help / advise...
I would start with the cleaning mentioned above. You may have to pull some engine shroulding to clean all the fins around the cylinder and head. Also some of the Kohler engines had low oil sensers that would shut down the spark. If you can find the ID tag on the engine I can see if I have the service manual and email it to you.

jerry

I would start with the cleaning mentioned above. You may have to pull some engine shroulding to clean all the fins around the cylinder and head. Also some of the Kohler engines had low oil sensers that would shut down the spark. If you can find the ID tag on the engine I can see if I have the service manual and email it to you.
The overheat sensor on the wisconsin engine was nothing fancy just a wire going to a litttle thing on one cylinder head. When the engine would get too hot it would ground out the spark.