40 xt bucket control issue...diode question.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ben@g2g

OK, I have another issue with the bucket controls not working. Over the past year both buckert conrol solenoids have been replaced when they failed. Currently it seems that the solenoids are fine. The safety lock system seems to be working as well. With lapbar down the lock relay activates, and I can move the machine, just not the bucket controls. The 2 solenoids are not getting power to activate. So my question is where does the circuit split between the drive solenoids, and the bucket solenoids? What points of failure are there? It's almost like the door switch is activated. Is there some kind of bypass, since my machine doesn't have a door? On the left pillar there are about 4 - 2wire plugs that are capped. Looking at the case parts diagrams on messicks.com it looks like the caps may be listed as $25 diodes. Is this correct? If so maybe the diode for my door switch bypass is fried? I could see the 2 failed solenoids over the year causing it some grief. If that's the case, are they just standard diode, so I can rig something from radioshack, until I can get a nice rubber coated one from the dealer? Can anyone email me the wiring diagram for the 40xt, or any xt for that matter? The schematics for the 1845 helped me solve the alternator issue I had last year, but not this one.

Tazza

Staff member
If you can see the diodes, it would never hurt to test them just to be sure. I don't know his machine, but i remember stories of diodes failing. They were in another location, but still, they failed.
Diodes can be bought from any electronic store for a few cents each. Something like a 1N5404 3 amp, 400volt

OP
OP
B

ben@g2g

If you can see the diodes, it would never hurt to test them just to be sure. I don't know his machine, but i remember stories of diodes failing. They were in another location, but still, they failed.
Diodes can be bought from any electronic store for a few cents each. Something like a 1N5404 3 amp, 400volt
Thanks man. I actually just got in from fixing it. There are 4 diodes on that pillar. I swapped the bad one with another position, and now the machine only runs when your sitting in the seat, but everything else works now. So that's a minor annoyance until the new diode gets in. I was thinking of making my own with something from radio shack, but was worried the amps would be too low. The power for the 2 bucket solenoids run through this, and it's got a 40 amp relay, so it's gotta draw a decent amount of juice. It's only $30 bucks at the dealer so won't break the bank. I might cut the old one open to see whats inside there, and if it is just a smaller amp diode i'll know for next time.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks man. I actually just got in from fixing it. There are 4 diodes on that pillar. I swapped the bad one with another position, and now the machine only runs when your sitting in the seat, but everything else works now. So that's a minor annoyance until the new diode gets in. I was thinking of making my own with something from radio shack, but was worried the amps would be too low. The power for the 2 bucket solenoids run through this, and it's got a 40 amp relay, so it's gotta draw a decent amount of juice. It's only $30 bucks at the dealer so won't break the bank. I might cut the old one open to see whats inside there, and if it is just a smaller amp diode i'll know for next time.
As long as you know they are plorized if you get some spares. I believe they will only need to hold a small amount of power as it goes to a relay. The relay should switch the high current.
I'd personally hook up a doide and feel how warm it got. You can get higher current ones if required.
Glad the issue is sorted out though.

Latest posts