330 Mustang lift cylinder wanted

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

a.guenterberg

I need a lift cylinder or at least the rod for a 330 Owatonna Mustang. Mine was leaking and during disassembly I found that someone had previously welded the piston retaining nut to the rod. Thank you in advance.

flyerdan

Did they just weld the threaded part that sticks out of the end of the nut? If so, I'd chuck it in the lathe and put a carbide burr in the post grinder and cut the weld out until the nut came off. Replace the gland seal and weld the nut again once it's snugged up.
Not perfect, but it will get you up and running again in the shortest order, as well as not costing a lot. Alternately, any hydraulic shop should be able to make a new rod to match if you can't find a salvage part.

Tazza

Staff member
Did they just weld the threaded part that sticks out of the end of the nut? If so, I'd chuck it in the lathe and put a carbide burr in the post grinder and cut the weld out until the nut came off. Replace the gland seal and weld the nut again once it's snugged up.
Not perfect, but it will get you up and running again in the shortest order, as well as not costing a lot. Alternately, any hydraulic shop should be able to make a new rod to match if you can't find a salvage part.
That is my thoughts too, if they just welded the nut to the thread, without a lathe, you can grind the weld off and hopefully get going again. If they welded it, i'd assume there was a reason, or it could be redneck loctite so it doesn't back off?
Absolute worst case, talk to a machine shop, they can make a new rod for you if you can't get your paws on a cylinder.