317 wont but cranks - where to even start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fluke meter

Help with a JD317 not starting.
I bought my first skid about 2 years ago - a 2000 ish JD317. Just yesterday I went to start it, and it doesn't seem to do any igniting - wont start just turns over. Im not sure where to start on that, but there are two curious behaviors from the past which might (but might not) be related.
Even since I bought it the machine will occasionally and as best I can tell randomly just shut off. To get it started again I seem to have to turn the key to off and then re-start (as opposed to just turn the key to starter) - this seems to feel like some sort of failure flag or false safety switch. The vast majority of the time just turning it off and then re-starting works - but sometimes it will just not start and leaving it for hours or a day and coming back will have it working fine and normal again.

Additionally - recently I noted a change to that behavior in that when it died/quit it briefly seemed to display the "STOP" indicator.

But now it just wont start - it seemed the battery was a bit low so I also hooked up a charger to it and got it all re-juiced - but no change.

mekabajo

I would first start with checking your battery. Make sure it can hold a proper voltage when at rest and when you try to start the engine. See YouTube videos to see how to check if a battery is good or not and the proper voltages that it should have.