317 starting issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ttnj

First time posting but I have referred to this site on many occasions. I'm no mechanic by any means but consider myself a quick learner and have enough knowledge to be dangerous. I thought I would post concerning a recent issue I had with the hope that I can save somebody a few hundred bucks who might be having the same issue. My issue started this past summer but I didn't even know it at the time. My machine has always been hard to start and I no clue what the true issue was. First attempt to fix the issue was to replace the battery, $100. Still hard to start but I got by. Late summer it wouldn't crank at all. This is where I learned how to lift the cab off to work on the machine. After checking relays and fuses I finally replaced the starter, $190. Still hard to start but at least I could start it. Cold weather hit about a month ago and the unit would start right away but then shut off after about 5 seconds. It wasn't the typical error code of lock yourself out though. I would turn the key again and it would crank and crank, sometimes for 30 seconds if not more before it would finally start again. Once it started I would have no issues with it running until I shut it off. Last week it got really cold again and it would even crank. So back to lifting the can and checking relays, fuses and cable connections. All appeared good so I was back to the starter again. Side story....my local JD dealer has multiple stores in multiple cities across the state. Local dealer wanted $480 for rebuilt starter they had in inventory, I knew I could buy on line for under $100 so I told them I would pass (even though in line order could take a few weeks for delivery). Local dealer tells me their store 45 miles away has an electrical shop that could rebuild my old starter. Make a call to to the other store and I am told I would probably have close to $150 in the rebuild but I could buy a rebuilt one they have for $180....that was odd, same dealer different store location wanted $480 for same starter. Any way I jump in the truck and drive the 45 miles to get rebuilt starter. While there I share the price story and never do get a good answer on why the difference. Get home and spend 4 MF hours trying to get old starter out, can't remember how I did the last time but apparently I was luckiy. I run out of patience and I have a full time job to work as well so I don't have the time to mess with the thing anymore. I decide to call the local JD store and have them send a service guy out to change it. Now I knew this was going to expensive but little did I realize they were to going to steal from me, total bill for them to pull the old starter and replace with new starter that I already bought....$423! For those keeping track this was the same store that wanted $480 for the starter. So now I am into this for the $100 battery, one $190 starter, one $180 starter, and a $423 labor bill. Then it hits me right in the forehead....replace the glow plugs!!!!! This was what cashing the hard start and the draining of the battery and destroying the starter. Like I said, hopefully this will help somebody else out at some point in the future. This is a great site and a wonderful resource.

juan1111

First time posting but I have referred to this site on many occasions. I'm no mechanic by any means but consider myself a quick learner and have enough knowledge to be dangerous. I thought I would post concerning a recent issue I had with the hope that I can save somebody a few hundred bucks who might be having the same issue. My issue started this past summer but I didn't even know it at the time. My machine has always been hard to start and I no clue what the true issue was. First attempt to fix the issue was to replace the battery, $100. Still hard to start but I got by. Late summer it wouldn't crank at all. This is where I learned how to lift the cab off to work on the machine. After checking relays and fuses I finally replaced the starter, $190. Still hard to start but at least I could start it. Cold weather hit about a month ago and the unit would start right away but then shut off after about 5 seconds. It wasn't the typical error code of lock yourself out though. I would turn the key again and it would crank and crank, sometimes for 30 seconds if not more before it would finally start again. Once it started I would have no issues with it running until I shut it off. Last week it got really cold again and it would even crank. So back to lifting the can and checking relays, fuses and cable connections. All appeared good so I was back to the starter again. Side story....my local JD dealer has multiple stores in multiple cities across the state. Local dealer wanted $480 for rebuilt starter they had in inventory, I knew I could buy on line for under $100 so I told them I would pass (even though in line order could take a few weeks for delivery). Local dealer tells me their store 45 miles away has an electrical shop that could rebuild my old starter. Make a call to to the other store and I am told I would probably have close to $150 in the rebuild but I could buy a rebuilt one they have for $180....that was odd, same dealer different store location wanted $480 for same starter. Any way I jump in the truck and drive the 45 miles to get rebuilt starter. While there I share the price story and never do get a good answer on why the difference. Get home and spend 4 MF hours trying to get old starter out, can't remember how I did the last time but apparently I was luckiy. I run out of patience and I have a full time job to work as well so I don't have the time to mess with the thing anymore. I decide to call the local JD store and have them send a service guy out to change it. Now I knew this was going to expensive but little did I realize they were to going to steal from me, total bill for them to pull the old starter and replace with new starter that I already bought....$423! For those keeping track this was the same store that wanted $480 for the starter. So now I am into this for the $100 battery, one $190 starter, one $180 starter, and a $423 labor bill. Then it hits me right in the forehead....replace the glow plugs!!!!! This was what cashing the hard start and the draining of the battery and destroying the starter. Like I said, hopefully this will help somebody else out at some point in the future. This is a great site and a wonderful resource.
Hi! Godbless do you happen to know where the plugs located ?

Tazza

Staff member
Uh, what a story, not a nice story at that, but glad it's fixed.
The best advise i can give is, if you see white clouds puffing from the exhaust when cranking, you have fuel but not enough heat to get it to ignite, so that can be not enough glow, or not enough cranking speed.

tomhearn

have a 7775 jd skid steer . I do not have any at all.i have check all the fuse's still no 12 volts

foton

use a test light ,VOM or a load tester and work towards the fuse panel from the battery. see where you have voltage and work to where it is not. remember the ground is the other half of the 12 volt system,they must be good connections.

Latest posts