310 hyd drive quirk w/picture

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

73Eldo

On initial startup there seems to be a strain on the engine and enough drive to the wheels that on level ground with the bucket up it will move. Control levels are centered when this happens. Wiggling them does not seem to change the issue. After a minute or so its more or less fine. Sometimes during operation it will do it also. Sometimes while operating it will almost seem to stall the engine and again wiggling the controls does not seem to have a direct effect but most of the time it corrects itself and may be fine for 30seconds or an hour. Normally the left side is faster. When I go forward from reverse the left side is slower unless I quickly return to center and back to full forward then it will be back to faster as usual. Machine has one resivor with fresh ATF (what the manual recomends). Seperate drive pumps driven with a common belt with no signs of slipage. Loader is driven with its own pump. Filters are on the pickup side for each pump and are new with the proper micron size according to manual. Im thinking that the basic pump and motor parts are fine since it seems to have plenty of power. I am wondering if it could be the check valves? If the check valve was not seated well it looks like the charge pressure (could be 150psi) may be trying to drive the motor? The check vlaves are easy to get to, just waiting for my dealer to tell me if they are still available from mustang. I dont think it would be the charge relief and that one may require me to remove the pumps to get to them. What do you guys think? This picture is my pump but I dont think my motor has the return line like the one in the picture.
hydpump.jpg picture by 73eldo

OP
OP

73Eldo

No ideas or theories? I would think that most hydro drive stuff would be more or less the same? OR is this some odd stuff that only the baby mustangs used?

Tazza

Staff member
No ideas or theories? I would think that most hydro drive stuff would be more or less the same? OR is this some odd stuff that only the baby mustangs used?
These are just guesses....
You talk about strain at startup and that it tries to move. It sounds like your steering is not set to neutral. If you lift the wheels off the ground and start it, rev it up a bit and without the brake on see of they move. The stalling i have no idea either, with my 743 if i plow into a big pile of dirt it will want to stall if i go too hard even when i try and return the sticks to neutral it wants to die as you don't know exactly where centre is. The charge pressure you mention sounds about rite. The charge pressure only feeds the pump, it replenishes the oil that is lost from internal leakage inside the drive motors. Your main pump will be producing around 5,000 PSI. Essentially your machine is the same as other hydrostatic machines, most of them have the 2 piston pumps connected together in a line instead in 2 separate pumps linked with a belt.
Sorry i can't be much help, i have never seen or used one of these machines...

Latest posts