300 Series John Deere

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ScapeGoat

Any feedback for people out there about the new 300 Series John Deere skid steers? All positive and negative feedback is appreciated - I am looking at purchasing a new skid steer and leaning towards the Deere 317, and would like some input prior to dropping the cash - Thanks -

753g

try to see what your working on around the massivly over built booms which have terrible geometry for the hydraulic rams to lift them. JD are extremely heavy for their power and lifting capacity, hence they'll be stable with a load but they'll get stuck easily in mud and are a real bear to tow. The hydros run at higher pressure and lower flow rates compared to bobcat loaders, hence the fluid and pumps get hotter and wear out more easily. JD should stick to building just tractors then they could at least have a single line of products that aren't half assed in the design department. I have a real JD tractor (read diesel powered w/ a 3 point hitch) not a home depot stamped steal toy. I'm sorely dispointed in the quailty control, and ease of maintainence. I just got finished working on a 99' JD 240 not a fairy tail to work on either... just my 15 cents. Go look/ test drive a real Bobcat or a Case. 10x the engineering and ease of maintainence.

Blaine

try to see what your working on around the massivly over built booms which have terrible geometry for the hydraulic rams to lift them. JD are extremely heavy for their power and lifting capacity, hence they'll be stable with a load but they'll get stuck easily in mud and are a real bear to tow. The hydros run at higher pressure and lower flow rates compared to bobcat loaders, hence the fluid and pumps get hotter and wear out more easily. JD should stick to building just tractors then they could at least have a single line of products that aren't half assed in the design department. I have a real JD tractor (read diesel powered w/ a 3 point hitch) not a home depot stamped steal toy. I'm sorely dispointed in the quailty control, and ease of maintainence. I just got finished working on a 99' JD 240 not a fairy tail to work on either... just my 15 cents. Go look/ test drive a real Bobcat or a Case. 10x the engineering and ease of maintainence.
I own a JD 240. I actually had to assemble the entire machine from a pile of parts. I didn't think it was bad to work on at all. Electrical system is very simple and I didn't have trouble getting to any parts or assembling anything. As far as maintenance, I don't know what would be hard. There are drains on everything you would ever need to drain. Of course my backround is as an automotive tech and these machines are extremely simple compared to modern EFI vehicles. As far as towing, I don't think it is bad to tow. It pulls no problem behind my F350. I don't even run trailer brakes. In soft mud it could use tracks, but what machine couldn't?

753g

I own a JD 240. I actually had to assemble the entire machine from a pile of parts. I didn't think it was bad to work on at all. Electrical system is very simple and I didn't have trouble getting to any parts or assembling anything. As far as maintenance, I don't know what would be hard. There are drains on everything you would ever need to drain. Of course my backround is as an automotive tech and these machines are extremely simple compared to modern EFI vehicles. As far as towing, I don't think it is bad to tow. It pulls no problem behind my F350. I don't even run trailer brakes. In soft mud it could use tracks, but what machine couldn't?
I come from the same back round. I did my fair share of wrench turning in garages. It's a pain to have to move the booms up and down to access parts in the engine compartment. Something that doesn't need to be done for IR bobcats. And let's say your battery takes a dump in the JD and of course the booms are down, good luck starting it without a jumper vehicle to raise those booms out of the way. You've got to wrestle and really bang the heck out of your knuckles to get to the battery and remove it. The JD isn't complex at all. It's just not designed as well IMO.

Blaine

I come from the same back round. I did my fair share of wrench turning in garages. It's a pain to have to move the booms up and down to access parts in the engine compartment. Something that doesn't need to be done for IR bobcats. And let's say your battery takes a dump in the JD and of course the booms are down, good luck starting it without a jumper vehicle to raise those booms out of the way. You've got to wrestle and really bang the heck out of your knuckles to get to the battery and remove it. The JD isn't complex at all. It's just not designed as well IMO.
I hadn't even thought of what would happen if the battery went dead. As far as service accessibility the design issue can play a huge role. Hopefully I will not have any more problems with anything though. But I can only expect so much from a machine I purchased for $5,000 with an included crate motor. Of course I am willing to do a little more maintenance and skin knuckles more often in order to save large amounts of cash. Mainly because I have the ability tools, and knowledge to do it myself. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best of luck to you if you decide to purchase the 300 series machine.

JDSKIDSTEER

I hadn't even thought of what would happen if the battery went dead. As far as service accessibility the design issue can play a huge role. Hopefully I will not have any more problems with anything though. But I can only expect so much from a machine I purchased for $5,000 with an included crate motor. Of course I am willing to do a little more maintenance and skin knuckles more often in order to save large amounts of cash. Mainly because I have the ability tools, and knowledge to do it myself. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best of luck to you if you decide to purchase the 300 series machine.
Battery goes dead with boom down you just pull side sheild out and hook jumper cable up. Any one who bashes with out looking is just being defensive of Bobcat. Cat and Deere have been nibbleing away at their market share for a while now.

frank123

Battery goes dead with boom down you just pull side sheild out and hook jumper cable up. Any one who bashes with out looking is just being defensive of Bobcat. Cat and Deere have been nibbleing away at their market share for a while now.
Very true. I am always amazed that anyone could complain about servicablity on a Deere. In 5 minutes(with one normal wrench out of your toolbox) you can have 360 degree access to the engine and the cab tipped up for full access to the hydros. How many posts in the BC section are there where the guys are talking about what a battle it is to perform certain repairs. Bottom line is it's a machine with a lot of very strong points. Sure, it has it's weak points too, but show me a machine that doesn't. With these machines it's all about tradeoffs. To gain one performance advantage, often you're going to sacrifice some other desireable characteristic, no matter what color you run.