240 hydraulic leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Scoob

I have a small hydraulic leak that I can't seem to track down. I maybe have to add about a quart every 5-8 engine hours. It seems to puddle up right under where the suction line connects to the hydraulic tank. Replaced the suction line and it still seems to be leaking. Anybody have any tricks to finding these slow leaks? Thanks, Troy

Tazza

Staff member
The best way i have found is to pressure wash the area, leave it sit and feel around for wet connections.

skidsteer.ca

The best way i have found is to pressure wash the area, leave it sit and feel around for wet connections.
Look for area(s) where the dirt is rinsed away by the oil (clean but oil covered) . The wipe it dry and start and test run it to narrow it down
Ken

OP
OP
S

Scoob

I finally found my leak or at least I can see it dripping now. It is dripping off the bottom of the starter. The only hose nearby goes to the oil cooler and doesn't appear to be leaking. I have covered up the hose with a piece of cardboard and it still drips off the starter. The only other place I can think of is it is leaking around the hydraulic pump shaft and filling up the flywheel housing and running out by the starter. I removed the starter expecting to find the housing full of oil. Everything in the housing appears to be fairly dry with just a really light oil residue. This really has me stumped. Any other ideas?? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I finally found my leak or at least I can see it dripping now. It is dripping off the bottom of the starter. The only hose nearby goes to the oil cooler and doesn't appear to be leaking. I have covered up the hose with a piece of cardboard and it still drips off the starter. The only other place I can think of is it is leaking around the hydraulic pump shaft and filling up the flywheel housing and running out by the starter. I removed the starter expecting to find the housing full of oil. Everything in the housing appears to be fairly dry with just a really light oil residue. This really has me stumped. Any other ideas?? Thanks
I'm assuming the oil is clean? not black engine oil rite?
I don't know what style setup your machines runs but if you can see around the starter and there is oil dripping on it, you should be able to see where its coming from.... Just how clean have you been able to get the area? if you can get it super clean it should help with finding the leak.

BCC

Did you ever discover where the oil is coming from? I have the same issue and have not yet pulled starter. Assume it's a shaft seal on main pump. What did you find?

mrbb

Did you ever discover where the oil is coming from? I have the same issue and have not yet pulled starter. Assume it's a shaft seal on main pump. What did you find?
the OP hasn't been on this site since 2009, so I doubt they will be replying,, just a heads up to you!