240 hydraulic failure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

finn01

I've got a 240 with about 975 hours that I bought this spring. The hydraulics have worked well, albiet quite noisy at low engine speed, at least until this afternoon. While gently sperading some crushed mine rock on the cabin's driveway, I lost hydraulic pressure. Upon dismounting from the machine, I noted a thin trail of oil and a puddle under the skidsteer. The hydraulic dipstick has nothing oil. as it seems to have leaked into the belly pan. There is no obvious failure like a hose or fitting (no spray in the engine compartment, etc) It's sitting in the driveway with the bucket curled and about a half foot off the ground. I've got a couple of optinons. First, I could call the nearest dealer, but he's almost 200 miles away from the machine. Second, I could start removing shields and panels & hopefully find and subsequently fix the leak if not too many specialized tools are required. Third, I could get it onto my trailer & bring it to the dealer, as I'm going right past his facility tomorrow afternoon anyway. If I choose number 3, how do I bypass the parking brake, as I think it engages when the machine looses hydraulic pressure? With the brake released I think I can drag the machine up the ramps with a chain and the truck if I can get the bucket off. Alan

skidsteer.ca

Allan
Without hydraulic pressure the spring applied hydraulic release brake will be on. So you would have to slide it on the the trailer.
I would try to open it up and would bet it is likely a hose failure. If you cn find the problem it may not be to hard to change the hose, add oil and you back in business.
Here is a link on lifting the rops
http://www.mediafire.com/?2je32zzw5kz
Here is a link on how the park brake works, but defeating the actuator cylinder may still only allow it to roll slowly, or maybe not at all, as there will still be alot of drag on the wheel motors.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yenmjml2zvm
Ken

OP
OP
F

finn01

Allan
Without hydraulic pressure the spring applied hydraulic release brake will be on. So you would have to slide it on the the trailer.
I would try to open it up and would bet it is likely a hose failure. If you cn find the problem it may not be to hard to change the hose, add oil and you back in business.
Here is a link on lifting the rops
http://www.mediafire.com/?2je32zzw5kz
Here is a link on how the park brake works, but defeating the actuator cylinder may still only allow it to roll slowly, or maybe not at all, as there will still be alot of drag on the wheel motors.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yenmjml2zvm
Ken
Spotr on! I spent the morning removing shields and hosing out accumulated dirt and debris. Did the front first, but as soon as I got to the back I saw that the hose between the filter and oil cooler had been rubbing on the (removable) skid shield. Cleaned out the engine compartment, reinstalled the front shields, dropped the ROPS, added a couple quarts of oit to the hydraulic tank, fired it up and confirmed the leak. Sure went back together faster than it came apart. I'll be gone for a few days, but next week a trip to thew local hosemaker & I should be back in business for minimal cost. These machines are quite simple when you get into the guts. Lucky it's July and not January. Alan

skidsteer.ca

Spotr on! I spent the morning removing shields and hosing out accumulated dirt and debris. Did the front first, but as soon as I got to the back I saw that the hose between the filter and oil cooler had been rubbing on the (removable) skid shield. Cleaned out the engine compartment, reinstalled the front shields, dropped the ROPS, added a couple quarts of oit to the hydraulic tank, fired it up and confirmed the leak. Sure went back together faster than it came apart. I'll be gone for a few days, but next week a trip to thew local hosemaker & I should be back in business for minimal cost. These machines are quite simple when you get into the guts. Lucky it's July and not January. Alan
If it has to fail, thats the kind to have.
Ken

Latest posts