2018 Bobcat T770 T4 Oil Pan Cracked

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Lowboy

I know this is a common problem from other posts here. There are two oval 3" x 6" holes right behind the rear drive sprocket in front of the lower hoist ram anchor mount. We are operating in fine wet beach-type sand. When backing up, the track throws the sand into those openings, and it ends up filling the space between the fuel tank and the oil pan. In warm weather, the loose material will usually bounce from the top of the fuel tank and fall into the bottom cover unless a small rock gets caught between the pan and the fuel tank. After that, a good pressure wash will usually take care of the excess material in the lower skid cover, and that's part of our maintenance program. The problem arises when the cold weather hits and freezes the wet material caught between the pan and the fuel tank, allowing for zero engine pan movements and, of course, a broken pan. I believe that was the cause of our oil leak last week, as the fitting trapped by the frozen material seemed to have cracked the pan weld and caused a slow oil drip. I would have pulled the motor in our shop, but the machine only had 1600 hours on it, so it's at the dealer's shop. Of course, the factory spokesman says this has never been a problem. But, in my opinion, that's BS. I will cut four 1/4" bolt-in cookies on the plasma table to cover the oval holes when the machine gets back. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Latest posts