2015 Bobcat S650 going into limp mode

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tapline

Hello all. I purchased a piece of property in SW Arkansas and started clearing brush, using my skidpro brush cutter. Worked great all day and partly into the next but after about 10 hours of steady use, (I think) the oil pressure warning light came on, or at least that's what I think it is since I left the manual back home. Its a flashing light just to the lower bottom right of my coolant temperature gauge. I also get the word AIRF in the reading panel just above it. Once this comes on, the machine goes into limp mode. I thought perhaps I lost oil viscosity so I changed the oil with CK and CJ compatible 15-40 oil. The machine ran for about 20 minutes fine but then the light came on and it went into limp mode again. Ive changed the primary air filter and keep the screen clean so I'm not thinking its an air flow issue but the AIRF code on the screen makes me wonder. I had the machine into Bobcat of San Antonio a few weeks ago, getting a cylinder replaced and new hydraulic fluid. The machine is a 2015 S650 with 2800 hours on it. The machine has always started right up and ran butter smooth, until starting to clear the land here. It still starts and sounds good (the engine) but I need to see if this is something I can do. Id appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

cdmccul

Your air filter is clogged, enough that it is reducing air flow and tripping a code.

I'm guessing that you are kicking up a lot of dust.

I'd clean around the air filter housing, open it up, vac it out (or brush it) and then remove the filter. Just be careful to not let dirt into the air intake.

Knock the filter clear, be sure the Inside is clean, then reassemble.

Or just install a new one, but still being careful with dirt ingress.

OP
OP
T

tapline

Thanks for the reply cdmccul. It is surely dusty here and deceiving since the grass is green and lush but about an inch below the roots, you hit nothing but soft dirt and dust. I cleaned out the filter and then decided to replace it with a new one. I also took off the tubes on the right and left side of the air box and looked all the way in each to ensure there were no leaves or debris. On the right side of the box and all the way to the engine intake it is clear. It looks like a type of map sensor in there so I gently air blew that out but no dust came out so I'm assuming its fine. I thoroughly cleaned the engine bay just to be sure no debris or dust was building up enough to fill any air opening needed but when I started the machine, it now starts with that code immediately and stays in limp mode. the engine sounds fine and it only slightly increases in power as I rotate the engine speed knob but nowhere near it powered up prior to this issue. Is there some other type of air filter Im missing that would cause this issue?

cdmccul

Hrrrrrmmmmmm.. Ok. I reread your original post right after I replied, I wasn't sure if you're air filter maintenance was before, or after your error code.

So, Hrrrrrmmmmmm... In old stuff, before computer stuff, there was a resettable air flow indicator. You had to change the filter, then reset the plunger. Could there be a button you need to reset? Also, could that air flow indicator be still blocked even after the air filter service you did. (Which was very thorough, it looks like!)

OP
OP
T

tapline

I bought the machine from an auction site and honestly, I think the previous owner must of used it in a dust factory. I have taken out the battery, cleaned behind and in between, and found some air vent openings I cleaned out with a blower. When I lifted the cab, I also checked all the wires, solenoids, connections to ensure there were no open wires or loose fittings. I will run it to see if it repeats the issue.

OP
OP
T

tapline

Well thought Id have great news but after running flawlessly with a front tiller attached, it did it again after about 40 minutes. Back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
T

tapline

Could the sensor sending the code be bad?
It could be the issue but so far it has been running ok without going into limp mode. I changed the maf sensor and put in a new primary and secondary filter. I did a thorough cleaning in all the nooks and crevices and keep the intake screen clear of debris and finer solids. I do, on very limited occasions, see the airf code but the machine keeps running strong so it may be a sensor. Just not sure which one or what the real reason is.

haymaker

Very interesting.
Please let us know of any future developments or if you find the cause.
Thanks.

Latest posts