2013 TL 230 Series 2 - Sudden sputtering with black exhaust smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DV

Hi All Working away with track loader when it starts to sputter/miss with intermittent black smoke from exhaust. Stopped it immediately not knowing the cause. Any advice on what the cause might be. I am new to diesel and track loaders. Thank you. Appreciate your time.

OP
OP
D

DV

Could be a turbo issue or pump/injector?
Thank you Tazza, Eventually had diesel mechanic out and the short of it is - loosened each fuel injector line to each injector and at #3 the engine ran smooth again without black smoke. Removed all 4 injectors and had them tested at injector shop - all spray good but all right at low range on pressure 2408psi. Tech advise it might be low cylinder pressure seeing that injectors are acceptable still and recommend a pressure test on #3 - suggests blown head gasket, rings, etc?? Is this the acceptable line of thinking or should we be looking to other solutions or process of elimination. P.S Diesel mechanic seems really knowledgeable but was to reach out to someone with more experience when we found all injectors to be ok.

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you Tazza, Eventually had diesel mechanic out and the short of it is - loosened each fuel injector line to each injector and at #3 the engine ran smooth again without black smoke. Removed all 4 injectors and had them tested at injector shop - all spray good but all right at low range on pressure 2408psi. Tech advise it might be low cylinder pressure seeing that injectors are acceptable still and recommend a pressure test on #3 - suggests blown head gasket, rings, etc?? Is this the acceptable line of thinking or should we be looking to other solutions or process of elimination. P.S Diesel mechanic seems really knowledgeable but was to reach out to someone with more experience when we found all injectors to be ok.
As it ran smooth with the injector not injecting fuel makes me wonder.
There is a possibility that the cylinder is low on pressure, you'd need a test gauge to confirm though.
I thought it would just smoke if the injector was bad, not run smooth with It shut off.

OP
OP
D

DV

As it ran smooth with the injector not injecting fuel makes me wonder.
There is a possibility that the cylinder is low on pressure, you'd need a test gauge to confirm though.
I thought it would just smoke if the injector was bad, not run smooth with It shut off.
Thanks again Tazza. Will check the pressure at that cylinder. Any idea where to get a gauge for this kubota motor? Happy Holidays!

flyerdan

Thanks again Tazza. Will check the pressure at that cylinder. Any idea where to get a gauge for this kubota motor? Happy Holidays!
Good ole Harbor Freight has a tester kit for $30 that has a Kubota adapter and good reviews.
You might need to check your engine manual and find out what thread the glow plugs are to see if you'll need a different adapter from the one in the kit.