2011 S250 Cooling Fan Bearing Noise On Shutdown?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

paoutdoorsman

I recently picked up a 2011 Bobcat S250. When I shut the machine off and the cooling fan spins down, it sorta sounds like a noisy bearing winding down. I'm pretty sure the fan is run by a hydraulic motor. Is this a normal sound or something I need to be concerned with?

flyerdan

Looking at the online site for parts , there were several fan systems used in the S250, if you put your serial number into the search box it will bring up the right page for your machine.
They used both a belt driven gearbox and a hydraulic motor through the model range, I seem to remember the gearboxes being prone to failure, but I don't think they had an overrun system so it shouldn't spin after shutdown, the hydraulic one should have a bypass to deal with pressure spikes.
First thing, run the s/n to see what you've got, second, lift the radiator and inspect. It could be a loose impeller rattling around and not a major component failure.
Hopefully someone will chime in with some actual experience with these.

Bswwood

The fan is run by a hydraulic motor. Over time the fan can start to make contact with the lower housing but you wont be able to hear it with the engine running, only when it winds down after engine is shut off. The housing can be spaced down by adding washers between the housing and four long mounting bolts and spacers.