2008 CASE 450 Series 3 smoking issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Cip5847

Hello, I recently bought a Case 450 series 3 skid steer with 2300 hours. The machine starts right up with no hesitation in cold or warm weather but, smokes during and after warm up when throttle is anywhere between idle and full throttle. it does not smoke at idle or full throttle. Engine purs fine at idle and full throttle but will spit and spudder a bit with throttle positioned anywhere else, along with smoke. Smoke is blueish in color but smells rich like fuel and not line oil. I changed all fluids/filters and now im looking for the next few steps I should take to diagnose the problem. Machine is clean, unabused, and there is no sign of oil leaks or wear anywhere. Any ideas on what my problem is and where I should start? Thanks-chris

flyerdan

If it's not burning oil, which would be evident by the level on the dipstick going down slightly over time, the only fuel culprits would be the injectors and injector pump.
Since it only happens in a mid range, the injector pump would seem unlikely, I'd be inclined to suspect one or more injectors might be over fueling. Call around to some diesel shops and see if they can test suspect injectors; if that is too costly or troublesome maybe try some fuel treatment like Seafoam or Marvel and see if it clears up.
If it had set unused for quite a while before you got it it could have one gummed up.

OP
OP
C

Cip5847

If it's not burning oil, which would be evident by the level on the dipstick going down slightly over time, the only fuel culprits would be the injectors and injector pump.
Since it only happens in a mid range, the injector pump would seem unlikely, I'd be inclined to suspect one or more injectors might be over fueling. Call around to some diesel shops and see if they can test suspect injectors; if that is too costly or troublesome maybe try some fuel treatment like Seafoam or Marvel and see if it clears up.
If it had set unused for quite a while before you got it it could have one gummed up.
Thanks for the response. My gut has said that it is injection related, after I try injection cleaner I will have the injectors tested.

Latest posts