2006 T250 ..how loud is too loud on the hydraulics?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I have a 2006 T250 with 2890 hours. I just purchased it, the first week of Aug 2022.

When I operate the machine the hydraulics make a loud whining noise which appears to be hydraulic pump or drive noises when the levers are engaged and the machine is in motion. The noise isn't present with the engine on/not moving.

I've never owned a track loader or skid steer type machine before. Only compact tractors. My hydrostatic transmission on my compact tractor whines as well, but the skid steer is louder.

The hydraulic fluid level stays at the appropriate level with no visible leaks anywhere on the machine and the fluid doesn't appear foamy in the sight glass.

When I purchased the machine I changed the motor oil, oil filter, water fuel separator, inner/outer air filter, both hydraulic oil
Filters and case drain filter. I did have a small amount of metal in the case drain filter but not enough to alarm me.

I did NOT change the hydraulic oil or drive oil.

I made a couple videos on my YouTube channel about the machine and the comment section blew
Up with "your pump is about to go out" "your final drives are about to go out". I'll add the mic used to record the video does make it sound louder than what it is.

The machine isn't weak on one side that I can tell.
If it is, the left side may be weaker than the right, but I'm not experienced enough to tell.

All lift/tilt functions work as normal. All temps are in range. No error codes.

The machine does jerk, if trying to go slow, but once the levers are pushed forward and the machine increases in speed the jerkiness goes away.

That's all I can think of right now.

Not trying to promote my YouTube channel (I have plenty of subs) but if you're interested in seeing/hearing the noises. I can certainly provide the channel name and a few videos to see what I'm talking about.

I'm debating on taking it to the dealer and at least having them diagnose it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

River Fluid Power

Please share the channel name. One thing that can make a hydrostatic loud is low charge pressure. You mention levers, so I assume you don't have selectable joystick controls. This would mean you have a direct displacement control pump, and they can be very noisy with low charge pressure, or if it is sucking air in through the charge pump.

OP
OP
Hamiltonville Farm
River, the channel name is Hamiltonville Farm.

The charge pressure on the display is 436. Which I think up to 440 is normal.

As a newbie to the forum and to skid steers, I'm not trying to spam the group with YouTube links, LOL.

Thanks for the reply.