2006 S220 smokes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Doodaah

Hey folks I have a S220 with the kubota and it smokes when cold. It cleares up alot when hot though. It has plenty of power and uses no oil. The oil does not smell like fuel, but the exhaust does. I think injectors, it has 2600 hrs on her now. And if it is injectors, how hard is the process to get them out, and who rebuilds them in the Kansas City area. Thank you

Tazza

Staff member
Look it up on yellow pages, you want diesel injector shops. Its possible one injector is leaking, causing th fuel to not burn fully. Glad you are doing something about it, if it id leaking, in time it will burn a hole in the piston.
Removing the injectors isn't hard. Remove the fuel lines, then the tap off lines, remove the nut on top and they will lift off. Then use a deep socket and remove the injectors.
Remember to replace the copper washers that seal the injectors to the head. They can get stuck in the head, you will need to use a secredriver some times to crack them free.

OP
OP
D

Doodaah

Look it up on yellow pages, you want diesel injector shops. Its possible one injector is leaking, causing th fuel to not burn fully. Glad you are doing something about it, if it id leaking, in time it will burn a hole in the piston.
Removing the injectors isn't hard. Remove the fuel lines, then the tap off lines, remove the nut on top and they will lift off. Then use a deep socket and remove the injectors.
Remember to replace the copper washers that seal the injectors to the head. They can get stuck in the head, you will need to use a secredriver some times to crack them free.
Thanks for the reply but my fuel lines go into the valve cover. Id guess pull it then remove the injectors? and if im in the valve train should i check that to? and if so what to look for. Thank you

Tigerhaze

This is the diesel injector repair shop that I know of in KC-their quals look good on their website but I have no direct experience with them:
http://kcdieselelectric.com/services.nxg
The area by Front Street and Worlds of Fun has quite a few diesel repair shops as well due to the heavy duty truck dealers and truck stops right by the river and the Hunt underground warehouses.
I also know there are quite a few diesel repair shops in the Springfield, MO and Tulsa, OK areas along I-44 that are good but I'm guessing you're wanting to stay local. One of those is Thompson Diesel in Tulsa:
http://www.thompsondiesel.com/

Tazza

Staff member
This is the diesel injector repair shop that I know of in KC-their quals look good on their website but I have no direct experience with them:
http://kcdieselelectric.com/services.nxg
The area by Front Street and Worlds of Fun has quite a few diesel repair shops as well due to the heavy duty truck dealers and truck stops right by the river and the Hunt underground warehouses.
I also know there are quite a few diesel repair shops in the Springfield, MO and Tulsa, OK areas along I-44 that are good but I'm guessing you're wanting to stay local. One of those is Thompson Diesel in Tulsa:
http://www.thompsondiesel.com/
AHHH yours is direct injection. I have never had to remove mine, so i can't tell you how to remove them, sorry. It shouldn't be too hard though.

OP
OP
D

Doodaah

AHHH yours is direct injection. I have never had to remove mine, so i can't tell you how to remove them, sorry. It shouldn't be too hard though.
Well I pulled it all apart and believe it or not the exhaust more of a pain in the urse than the injectors. I did find the problem I think. One of the injector o rings was kinked up pretty bad and the fuel nozzel was carboned up pretty bad. I guess it was letting exhaust by the copper washer so blow by? Im still giong to take them to the shop for cleaning and pattern testing. I will keep everyone posted. And since it apart im going to run the valves

Tazza

Staff member
Well I pulled it all apart and believe it or not the exhaust more of a pain in the urse than the injectors. I did find the problem I think. One of the injector o rings was kinked up pretty bad and the fuel nozzel was carboned up pretty bad. I guess it was letting exhaust by the copper washer so blow by? Im still giong to take them to the shop for cleaning and pattern testing. I will keep everyone posted. And since it apart im going to run the valves
If its badly carboned that won't help, it will alter the spray pattern. Good move in getting them checked/cleaned, then at least you will know they are right.