2006 Bobcat S250 Noise when moving

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bill16

Hi everyone, I recently bought this 2006 S250 with 4200 hours on it. It has a noise when traveling that I'm not sure what it is. The best way I can describe it is if you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth and make it vibrate, it sounds like that. More prominent when turning at any speed but still there when going straight in fast mode. It seams to be comming from below the foot pedals and I can fell it vibrate slightly. I lifted the front wheels off the ground, they have no end or side to side end play at all. Chain play rotation is about 1.25 inches on bothe wheels. Is this normal or something I should be worried about. What do you think? Thanks...

brdgbldr

My educated guess would be you have loose chains and / or worn sprockets.

You'll need to try to open one of the covers on the chain case to inspect them.

OP
OP
B

bill16

My educated guess would be you have loose chains and / or worn sprockets.

You'll need to try to open one of the covers on the chain case to inspect them.
I checked the oil level for the chain drive and it appears low by about an inch. Could it be as simple as filling that up? I don't see any leaks so not sure why it would be low.

brdgbldr

I checked the oil level for the chain drive and it appears low by about an inch. Could it be as simple as filling that up? I don't see any leaks so not sure why it would be low.
Low oil in the chain case will starve your axle bearings of lubricant. This could be your noise. But if it is, then your bearings may be bad already.

From your original description though, I still am leaning to your chains being stretched. That clicking noise is usually the chain links. Sometimes loose chains will also "slap" the housing when when doing a fast start in forward or reverse.

I still think you need to inspect your chains and sprockets. Also look for metal shavings in the bottom of the chain case.