2005 LS 190B will start only in service mode

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Motodbe

My 2005 LS190B will only start in service mode. When out of service mode it will only turn over. I have been dealing with this problem intermittently for at least 2 years. It's frustrating because I'll get disgusted with the machine and park it for a couple of months while trying to start it all the while unsuccessfully and then miraculously it will start up and I'll drive it a little. I'll shut it off and then it won't start back up. At first I thought it was the seatbelt switch so I jiggled it while starting the machine and sometimes it would start when I did that, but I couldn't tell if it was a coincidence or not. I ended up buying a brand new seatbelt female end and it didn't solve the problem. Also, the seatbelt switch light on the overhead panel has always functioned normally when the seatbelt is connected/disconnected and because of this one of the mechanics at the NH dealer said the seat belt switch was not my problem. I was told that the hand control that controls the auxiliary hydraulics might not be in the neutral position when I was attempting to start the machine and causing the machine not to start. I have jiggled the hand control around to neutralize it many times and sometimes it seemed to work and the machine would start and sometimes not. I bypassed the auxiliary control valve switch another time when it wouldn't start and this worked for a while, until one time I was driving the machine and it just quit. After the machine quit in the middle of the road, I connected a wire from the battery to the fuel solenoid to get it home. After waiting several weeks without touching the machine, it started up and I drove a short distance, turned it off and it wouldn't start again. I jiggled some of the wiring around in the engine compartment and got it to start again, but after I shut it down a few minutes later it wouldn't start again. I then found the wire going to the engine oil pressure sensor had become detached so I repaired it and it started up and ran just fine a month to 6 weeks. It seems like when I use my grapple that requires the use of the auxiliary hydraulics, the problem occurs more frequently, but this may be a coincidence. I decided to replace the aux hyd switch with a new one and this did not help. Also, I replaced the water temp sensor and that did not work. The non staring condition is definitely getting worse overtime and right now the machine will only start in service mode. I know this is a lot of info and is probably hard to follow, but I'm doing my best here. Any ideas on what to do now would be greatly appreciated.

mrbb

sounds to me like you have an electrical connection issue some place, , I think what you need to do is, go over as many connections as you can starting at fuse box and back tracking, corrosion can cause a lot of funny problems that are erratic
so, time to start looking, not fun or fast, but ist where I'd start!

eeastment

I may be able to solve your problem.

My 2005 LS 185b was doing this recently. My problem was the "interlock fuel solenoid relay" was not closing while cranking, it wore out and would only fully close intermittently. When you're in "maintenance mode" this relay is bypassed and it will start normally without the relay.

The relays job is to close and energize a fuel solenoid when the ignition switch is in the 'run' and 'crank/start' positions and other conditions are met (safety stuff). This relay controls a solenoid on the high-pressure Bosch injection pump. The solenoid permits fuel into the pump. When de-energized it acts as the fuel cutoff and stops the engine.

I've shown the relay in the attached wiring diagram (17). This relay is located in the engine compartment in the fuse block area. If I recall correctly the relay/fuse box has a diagram on the inside of the lid so you'll know which one to swap out (there are several of the same type in a row).

I replaced it with one found at an autoparts store, it's a very common relay. The OEM is Bosch part No. 0 332 201 107
Replaced mine with: import direct 25-0136 (O'Reilley autoparts).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 54603BE0-394C-41DC-8870-F821DC3DC072.png
    54603BE0-394C-41DC-8870-F821DC3DC072.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
M

Motodbe

It does help. I just swapped that relay out with the identical hazard light relay and it fired right up. Thanks for all of your help.