2005 Bobcat 773g fuel shutoff solenoid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Feedbag

Hi, was wondering if someone could explain an issue I'm not understanding on my Bobcat 773 fuel solenoid. On wire 8800, which is the "hold" wire, with the ignition key turned to the on position, but without the engine running, I measure a little over 5 volts, which is normal as far as I know. Wire 8100, which is the "pull" wire, measures 0 volts, which is normal as well. The 2800 wire is the ground wire. Now, when I start the engine and while it's running, the 8800 hold wire then reads about 13 volts.... This is what I am not understanding. I know the pull wire will energize and provide 12 volts to initially pull the fuel shutoff valve open, but then drop out leaving the hold voltage wire to keep the valve open at about 5 volts. But the voltage on the the 8800 hold wire stays at around 12 volts when I believe it should be reading around 5 volts... I'm confused, can anyone shed some light on this and educate me? It would be appreciated.... Thanks - Greg

brdgbldr

Hope someone can answer your question here.

Are you sure that 5 volts is enough to open the solenoid?

Maybe that 5 volts is there because of other items charged with the key in the ON position and it takes 12 volts to actually open the solenoid and keep it open. Otherwise, fuel could technically flow with the key at the ON position and the engine not running.

With a helper you may be able to see if you can feel the solenoid actually open up when the key is turned to the ON position. You could also check to see if you can feel it open by putting 12volts directly to it.

Those are my non expert thoughts.

Keep is posted.

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

Hope someone can answer your question here.

Are you sure that 5 volts is enough to open the solenoid?

Maybe that 5 volts is there because of other items charged with the key in the ON position and it takes 12 volts to actually open the solenoid and keep it open. Otherwise, fuel could technically flow with the key at the ON position and the engine not running.

With a helper you may be able to see if you can feel the solenoid actually open up when the key is turned to the ON position. You could also check to see if you can feel it open by putting 12volts directly to it.

Those are my non expert thoughts.

Keep is posted.
I have only read that the voltage to keep the fuel valve is around 5 volts, so u have a good point. I read that 12 volts is needed to pull the valve open, then 5 volts to keep it open. I worked with my brother today and we found that "pull" circuit is working perfectly. Still in question as to why the hold voltage is about the same. I read that the 12 volt is dropped out after it pulls open the valve because it could burn out the solenoid. I am still struggling with it.....