2004 T190 blowing 100 amp fuse on start up

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

baas

My bobcat keeps blowing the 100 amp fuse above the battery. I took it to our local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. I put new fuse in and took it home. It started and worked fine that day. A couple days later I tried to start it and it did the same thing. It was working fine with no problems until it started blowing the fuse a couple weeks ago. I have keyless control pad and it starts to come up and then dead, even before I enter my codes to start. Anybody ever have this problem? Assuming its a short somewhere but why all of a sudden and how do you locate if dealer can't find it?

Bobcatdan

I'd say there is a dead short between the 100 amp and the main fuse box. Giving the dealer the benefit of a doubt, machines have a way of not acting up for a dealer tech. Been down that road many times. I'd look for a rub behind the the hydraulic tank. If all eles fails, put a mainframe harness.

OP
OP
B

baas

I'd say there is a dead short between the 100 amp and the main fuse box. Giving the dealer the benefit of a doubt, machines have a way of not acting up for a dealer tech. Been down that road many times. I'd look for a rub behind the the hydraulic tank. If all eles fails, put a mainframe harness.
Thanks for the advise. I will check that out and see if I can find anything. It would almost have to be between the battery and fuse box, otherwise you think it would just blow one of the smaller fuses in the main fuse box, correct?

Bobcatdan

Thanks for the advise. I will check that out and see if I can find anything. It would almost have to be between the battery and fuse box, otherwise you think it would just blow one of the smaller fuses in the main fuse box, correct?
I can't think off any part that could blow the 100 amp because everything is protected by a normal size fuse, even the alternator. The starter has a separate lead to it so I can't see that blowing the fuse either.

OP
OP
B

baas

I can't think off any part that could blow the 100 amp because everything is protected by a normal size fuse, even the alternator. The starter has a separate lead to it so I can't see that blowing the fuse either.
If the battery was loose and a terminal touched something metal, would that cause it to short out? I know the positive side has a shield on it but maybe it is touching something.

Bobcatdan

If the battery was loose and a terminal touched something metal, would that cause it to short out? I know the positive side has a shield on it but maybe it is touching something.
I don't think so because it should ground back threw the machine and not threw the 100 amp. Either way, get the battery secured.

7LBSSMALLIE

Have u figured it out? What was it?
glow plug relay is stuck on. seen it been there etc. couple quick checks. swap out .relay. give back o box a good look. that's the fuse box. can be pried outta cover for inspection. nasty green more prevalent in open rops. clean salvage etc.