2002 763g fuel gauge issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bubba24

hey all, i have a 2002 763g with bics system. fuel gauge used to work fine, down to the low fuel light coming on once in a while. now it seems to work only on the upper end from half tank to full, rarely drops below half tank. i have run out of fuel a time or two and now carry 5 gal jug of fuel when i go to do jobs. i replaced sender with new one from bobcat but still have same issue. it has no codes stored in system. no sure how to troubleshoot it correctly. i sure would like to have it working correctly again. any ideas would be appreciated. serial number is above 512261... thanks, bubba

Lowe.Buuck

You may have a broken pick-up tube in the fuel tank. There is a plastic line that hangs down in the tank with a strainer fitting on the end.
Tubes that have cracked or completely broken off are a common problem. Remove the fuel line from the fitting and pry the fitting out of the grommet holding it in the tank. The pick-up line is attached to the bottom of the fitting.

OP
OP
B

bubba24

You may have a broken pick-up tube in the fuel tank. There is a plastic line that hangs down in the tank with a strainer fitting on the end.
Tubes that have cracked or completely broken off are a common problem. Remove the fuel line from the fitting and pry the fitting out of the grommet holding it in the tank. The pick-up line is attached to the bottom of the fitting.
i think it's a good possibility that is my problem. i'll gonna change it out in the next few days and i'll come back and let you know. thanks for the tip. bubba

OP
OP
B

bubba24

i think it's a good possibility that is my problem. i'll gonna change it out in the next few days and i'll come back and let you know. thanks for the tip. bubba
i ordered new pickup tube kit from bobcat. also ordered new elbow and the hose. i actually got filter, a grommet, 2 clamps and a piece of clear tubing in the kit. the fitting and tube ordered were a metal elbow and a piece of hard black plastic with angle cut on one end. i cleaned and blew out around where the fitting goes into the tank. took hose loose and used needle nose visegrips and pulled my old line and fitting out. to my surprise it already had metal elbow and hard plastic line installed. appears to be in good shape, no cracks that i can see. i reinstalled new elbow and hard line with angle cut down. runs fine. still stumped as to fuel gauge issue. thanks for the idea. at least i know that broken off fuel pickup is not the issue. bubba

flyerdan

i ordered new pickup tube kit from bobcat. also ordered new elbow and the hose. i actually got filter, a grommet, 2 clamps and a piece of clear tubing in the kit. the fitting and tube ordered were a metal elbow and a piece of hard black plastic with angle cut on one end. i cleaned and blew out around where the fitting goes into the tank. took hose loose and used needle nose visegrips and pulled my old line and fitting out. to my surprise it already had metal elbow and hard plastic line installed. appears to be in good shape, no cracks that i can see. i reinstalled new elbow and hard line with angle cut down. runs fine. still stumped as to fuel gauge issue. thanks for the idea. at least i know that broken off fuel pickup is not the issue. bubba
Don't know if you can get to it with the engine in, but if you can get to the sender, clean around it and pull it out. Hook up jumper wires and move it throughout its range, if the gauge shows full scale deflection, I'd check and see if the float was crowding a side of the tank and carefully bend the arm a bit to give it more clearance.
Of course it's likely that there is a break in the wire wound resistor which would cause it to drop out like that. It should be fairly obvious once you open it up; that isn't easily repairable, a new sender will be needed.