1996 940 emergency brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h400exinfl

I think my mechanical emergency brake disintegrated inside the chain case. I'm hearing metal grinding sounds on that side in the general area. Also, there is no tension at all on the ebrake actuating arm. It just flops back and forth with no resistance. I've disconnected the cable and removed the 4 bolts holding the assembly to the frame but am having trouble getting the booger out of there. Also, I loosened the chain tensioner pushing against it and the lower plate is rides on top of, but did not loosen the bolts for the lower plate as I'm not to sure of the consequences. Can anyone give my any guidance on getting this thing out of there and possible repair and replacement? Also, I've checked all the wheel bearings and they are fine. I've only owned this machine about a year and the emergency brake has never worked. Thanks, Jay

jerry

There is a guy on the heavy equipment forum that has service manual for 940 and will e-mail it to you if you want it. It was just posted the other day.

OP
OP
H

h400exinfl

There is a guy on the heavy equipment forum that has service manual for 940 and will e-mail it to you if you want it. It was just posted the other day.
Jerry, Thanks I posted a request for the manual. So, I pulled the chaincase top cover and was able to inspect the parking brake assembly, which is a disc and caliper type assembly that looks in tact. The disc will slide left and right on the sprocket shaft it's mounted on, but the caliper keeps it from going to far. This is normal best I can tell. Nothing appears broken.

jerry

Jerry, Thanks I posted a request for the manual. So, I pulled the chaincase top cover and was able to inspect the parking brake assembly, which is a disc and caliper type assembly that looks in tact. The disc will slide left and right on the sprocket shaft it's mounted on, but the caliper keeps it from going to far. This is normal best I can tell. Nothing appears broken.
did you drag a magnet thru the oil to see if there was any metal parts or grindings down there?

OP
OP
H

h400exinfl

did you drag a magnet thru the oil to see if there was any metal parts or grindings down there?
Jerry, I did drain and clean out the chain case. It wasn't the parking brake, which I was able to reassemble and make operational. I just replaced the front wheel bearings so I know they aren't the problem. The rear wheel bearings aren't showing any play, but the wheel seal has a bad leak so I'm going to tear that down and check the bearings while I'm in there.

jerry

Jerry, I did drain and clean out the chain case. It wasn't the parking brake, which I was able to reassemble and make operational. I just replaced the front wheel bearings so I know they aren't the problem. The rear wheel bearings aren't showing any play, but the wheel seal has a bad leak so I'm going to tear that down and check the bearings while I'm in there.
Did you ever get any response on that manual? Sometimes those links turn out to be a dead end or the guy has moved on to bigger and better things. does it make that noise at low speeds or faster speed? My Bobcat chains would make noise at faster speeds, I think they were slapping the chain case at times.

Latest posts