1989 632 screaming on turning not turning well - need help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BoBoV8

Hey and good day! I am new here because I just bought a 632 online to use it to build our home. The engine only runs OK with the choke a little on, but so far all works fine. It goes well forward and backwards but it doesn't turn well left and right. and if it turns it is more a kind of jumping and bumping around - not really where and how i want to go, and of course it's SCREAMING like hell. I have a video, but I do not know how to put it in here... :-(

OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

...silly me, video was to long... here is the nice sound what it makes on (kind of) turning left and right.

Attachments

• 20230429_173955_1.mp4
    23.1 MB

cdmccul

Wow, that's hard to make out by my ear... But I'd guess you have drive chains that are stretched to the wear limit and need replaced.

My 632 jumps when turning on dry pavement really bad, while empty. I think they aren't as balanced as other models. Empty, the skidder should have 60% of the weight on the back and 40% in front. Loaded, it should be 60% front and 40% back. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the 632s have the weight too close to 50/50, making it turn hard.

But that's just a guess. It's possible that I TOO have chains that need replacing!

foton

I think I hear some lifter noise too, why dont you try to jack the machine up completly off ground and see how much play is in the wheels when rotated back and forth. There is a suggested amount though I can not think of it at the moment. If the slop is bad rotating the tires you might be able to hear the chains if they are real loose.

OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

Wow, that's hard to make out by my ear... But I'd guess you have drive chains that are stretched to the wear limit and need replaced.

My 632 jumps when turning on dry pavement really bad, while empty. I think they aren't as balanced as other models. Empty, the skidder should have 60% of the weight on the back and 40% in front. Loaded, it should be 60% front and 40% back. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the 632s have the weight too close to 50/50, making it turn hard.

But that's just a guess. It's possible that I TOO have chains that need replacing!
THX! Till now I only tried the bc on solid pavement - maybe it would become less jumping on any soil - but I will check the chains later on and will let you know. ....I have NO mechanic experiences with any loader / excavator (only cars + bikes) but I have no idea how a loose / streched chain could cause such a "iiiiiiaaachhhh iiaaiiaaiiiaachh". But I will see and try to find out.... meanwhile I have also to replace the tiltcylinder. It blews up by trying to lift a heavy pallet🙄 tthisthing was just rebuild by the former owner - ofcourse WITHOUT warrenty, too...😖

OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

I think I hear some lifter noise too, why dont you try to jack the machine up completly off ground and see how much play is in the wheels when rotated back and forth. There is a suggested amount though I can not think of it at the moment. If the slop is bad rotating the tires you might be able to hear the chains if they are real loose.
Hi, thx! I am only a car / bike guy (till now). And I will check the chains as suggested. But for me, I have no idea how this noise could be caused by the chains. It sounds more like totally wearn brake pads on a rotten brake disc. Or some dry running clutch packages (sorry I don't know the right word in english) in an old automatic transmission. The noise starts already by soft pushing or pulling only one of the gear sticks (without driving or turning). I am not sure, if the drivechains are already in action - to produce any noise? But I will have a look at and will let you know.

cdmccul

Could your parking brake be engaged? The plate should be tipped up... Low at the seat and, high at the bucket end.

OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

Could your parking brake be engaged? The plate should be tipped up... Low at the seat and, high at the bucket end.
Parking break?? 😳 ....I can find 2 steering sticks, two pedals (lift + tilt), choke + gas (trottle) and one handle to adjust the seat...? Where should this plate be located? Many thanks in advance!

cdmccul

On my 632, the parking brake is a plate between your feet, mounted to the top of the chain case. It is a square plate, about 10 inches/25cm long. Push down on the far edge from where the seat is, engages the brake. Press down on the beck edge (closest to the seat) and it should release.

Screenshot_20230503_004338_Chrome.jpg

Here is what the pedal should look like...

Screenshot_20230503_004405_Chrome.jpg

Here it is as it looks standing outside the machine looking down at the pedals. This parking brake is "engaged". The plate would flip up to disengage.

The pedal is designed to apply almost by default when you step out of the machine, and you have to kinda lift your toes deliberately to disengage the pedal when you're sitting in the seat.

cdmccul

Granted, and thinking about this more, of the brake was on I would expect the screaming to happen in all directions... Forward/backward, and turning left and right, not just left and right.

But, since my brake doesn't work, I don't know how they act when properly functioning.

I guess it's possible that your brakes are JUST out of adjustment, so they act in such a way... But I'm just speculating.

OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

On my 632, the parking brake is a plate between your feet, mounted to the top of the chain case. It is a square plate, about 10 inches/25cm long. Push down on the far edge from where the seat is, engages the brake. Press down on the beck edge (closest to the seat) and it should release.

View attachment 3653
Here is what the pedal should look like...

View attachment 3654
Here it is as it looks standing outside the machine looking down at the pedals. This parking brake is "engaged". The plate would flip up to disengage.

The pedal is designed to apply almost by default when you step out of the machine, and you have to kinda lift your toes deliberately to disengage the pedal when you're sitting in the seat.
No, my 632 neither have this plate, nor the linkage on the left. But the sound fits to a somehow engaged (but slipping) parking brake. Maybe this was (as the gauges, choke....and some other stuff too) somehow "rebuilt". Maybe I can find some mechanism to engage / disengage a maybe existing parking break. I hope to have a chance to do it today...

Schifference

I had a 642 that would scream. This was my fix.
I diagnosed the pump by switching the hoses for the hydro motors at the pump. After switching hoses joy sticks operate totally opposite from normal operation so be careful to have space and be prepared to drive with different orientation. When I switched my hoses the problem went from the left hydro to the right hydro indicating that the hydro motors were good and the problem was the pump. Total cost of repair around $400.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoBoV8

BoBoV8

Yes fixed the problem. Was pretty straight forward and relatively easy.
....I am praying that it will be a somehow engaged parking brake. Or maybe some missing grease ....something easy... I've currently no space (no time either), to rebuild a pump like you've showed. I bought this bob to build home and barn... where I would be able to do such things in the future...

Schifference

....I am praying that it will be a somehow engaged parking brake. Or maybe some missing grease ....something easy... I've currently no space (no time either), to rebuild a pump like you've showed. I bought this bob to build home and barn... where I would be able to do such things in the future...
I hope so too. I always say that I buy a machine to do work for me not for me to work on but it never works out that way.

Schifference

I presently have that 642 for sale. The replies are crazy. People asking "no issues?" What a freaking joke! Any and everything has issues from the day it is first made until the day it is dead and retired. If you cannot deal with issues, you should hire someone that can. I just mentioned a run for a few minutes and not restart issue. Fixed for $60 with new fuel pump, cut off tip from backfire solenoid, and wired that to new fuel pump and coil. One day I was ambitious and set the valves. Had to make a gasket out of the tube. That valve cover barely fits between exhaust and everything else. Well it leaks. So fuching what! Put in a little oil every once in awhile. What do people expect? Go dig with a damn shovel and wheelbarrow.

Schifference

So I sold this machine today with full disclosure. Guy paid me cash and wants me to deliver to him. Machine ran like a top while he was here and started with one click of the key. After he left I decided to load the machine for transport. Don't you know the freaking machine won't start! I don't have a lot of gas here presently so I put some fuel in the tank. So I crank and crank and not even a sputter. So back to the basics. Fuel or spark. In the meantime I put a charger on the battery so it won't go dead. I had other things to do so I left the machine and did them. Came back a little while later and put hot wire to coil. Still no start. New fuel pump making noise. So I pull coil wire and it has spark. Pull a plug wire and it has spark. So I have spark. I know I have gas in the tank. So I disconnect the hose from fuel pump to carburetor and turn on the key. Fuel pump making noise but no fuel. I take off the hose on the other side of fuel pump and blow into it. There is fuel. I give it a suck and fuel starts siphoning out of the tank. I connect back to fuel pump and turn on key and fuel pump working again.
So ran out of gas and fuel pump lost prime. Going to tell the new owner about that. He should put a hand pump bulb in line to get the fuel from the tank if that happens again.

I am not a mechanic, I just always end up having to fix things.

Last edited:

Woodader

Hé et bonne journée ! Je suis nouveau ici car je viens d'acheter un 632 en ligne pour l'utiliser pour construire notre maison. Le moteur ne tourne bien qu'avec le starter un peu allumé, mais jusqu'à présent tout fonctionne bien. Il va bien en avant et en arrière mais il ne tourne pas bien à gauche et à droite. et si ça tourne, c'est plus une sorte de saut et de bousculade - pas vraiment où et comment je veux aller, et bien sûr ça CRIE comme un enfer. J'ai une vidéo, mais je ne sais pas comment la mettre ici... :-(
Salut j'ai un problème similaire, toutes les commandes hydrauliques consomment trop d'énergie du moteur et calent, direction difficult also I shared a video of the problem, probably the worn part like yours.