1986 843

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Venom

I just purchased a 1986 843 with 4200 hours, no modifications except for foam filled tires and steel tracks. It appears to have been well cared for - the seller claimed he picked it up from a nursery that only used it for tree excavation and hauling. The drive train and hydraulics are tight and doesn't puff even a little smoke under load. About the only visible issue right now is a minor hydraulic leak at the auxillary connections and some minor stress cracks in the grading bucket. I am trying to get the contact info for the nursery so I can get the manual and service records. Is there anything I need to service other than the filters and fluids right now? Thanks!

m610

Sorry - forgot to specify - it has a 54 HP Isuzu diesel motor.
That's a great machine, I have one myself. Besides fluids and filters you should pressure clean the machine and paint where necessary to look for leaks. Check your radiator and cooling water, hoses and the belt. The 4jb1 Isuzu engine is a good one in a Bobcat.

mrfixitpaul

That's a great machine, I have one myself. Besides fluids and filters you should pressure clean the machine and paint where necessary to look for leaks. Check your radiator and cooling water, hoses and the belt. The 4jb1 Isuzu engine is a good one in a Bobcat.
also remove access covers above engine and pressure wash underside of the radiator and oil cooler.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

also remove access covers above engine and pressure wash underside of the radiator and oil cooler.
Thanks for the info. I already pressure washed, checked fluids, cleaned air filter and greased. there was one zerk that was froze up, so I ran it for 30 minutes regrading the driveway. After completing, I retried the zerk (on the bucket control) and it worked. The motoer has a small seep, but no major leaks. I also picked up some 15W-40 oil at Tracktor Supply as well as the Traveller brand hydraulic fluid. Is there any place other than Bobcat that stocks the filters? Thanks!

mrfixitpaul

Thanks for the info. I already pressure washed, checked fluids, cleaned air filter and greased. there was one zerk that was froze up, so I ran it for 30 minutes regrading the driveway. After completing, I retried the zerk (on the bucket control) and it worked. The motoer has a small seep, but no major leaks. I also picked up some 15W-40 oil at Tracktor Supply as well as the Traveller brand hydraulic fluid. Is there any place other than Bobcat that stocks the filters? Thanks!
Oh yeah, don't forget to grease the u-joint on the coupler between the engine and pump. There are 3 fittings hidden there.

toomacho

Oh yeah, don't forget to grease the u-joint on the coupler between the engine and pump. There are 3 fittings hidden there.
Definitely get a service manual. If you can't track down the old one, get it from the dealer. I just got one for my 863 and they are well worth the money. (about 90.00 delivered to your door) I learned about some lubrication points that I never knew exhisted on that machine. Congratulations on your purchase!

Tazza

Staff member
Definitely get a service manual. If you can't track down the old one, get it from the dealer. I just got one for my 863 and they are well worth the money. (about 90.00 delivered to your door) I learned about some lubrication points that I never knew exhisted on that machine. Congratulations on your purchase!
Filters from the dealer and after market are pretty close over here. Its about $5 difference, thats all.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Filters from the dealer and after market are pretty close over here. Its about $5 difference, thats all.
Everyone - Thanks so much for the great information. I have the three service/owners manuals on the way - found them on ebay for $63 shipped. The look to be original too. I was fortunate enough that the pics stated they are for Isuzu motors 24000 and up - my serial number ends in 24385. I am very satisfied with the performance so far. I've ran it for ~ 4 hours without issue. It only needs a new seat (along with the filters, fluids, greasing). I think it was regularly serviced as the grease joints had quite a bit of built up residue. I scraped them clean so I could see the new grease work its way out. The engine compartment looks to be all original, there even seems to be ~ 23 years of oil residue/dirt in the pan. It looked as if no one cleaned it up, so I was able to see what the actual accumulation/condition looked like instead of someone "prettying it up" before I bought it.

Latest posts