1835b fine timing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rusty2867

I had the injection pump rebuilt by a reputable injection shop local to me and now it is harder to start than it was before. I mean it sat for 5 months and started right up with no ether shot and now it won't start without it! I marked everything and had it at tdc, valve cover off and #1 pushrods turned easily and line were lined up on the pump. My manual that I purchased says to refer to operator manual for fine timing but I don't have that. Any way to get this info? The only serial number I have is *5589499* and the Case sight says invalid. Not really sure what year it is either. From what I am understanding it is supposed to be a certain amount before or after bdc when the timing marks in pump line up, is that correct?

OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

If pump timing is off by this much would it be hard starting? And shoudl I go ahead and disassemble front of engine and make sure all marks are line up? Everything was 2 yrs ago when i replaced gaskets.
20230529_115542.jpg

Chessie

If pump timing is off by this much would it be hard starting? And shoudl I go ahead and disassemble front of engine and make sure all marks are line up? Everything was 2 yrs ago when i replaced gaskets. View attachment 3828
First of all, if you have the manual, and can use it, do. If not, go with the "old fashioned mechanic" way. Turn it a little, and try it. If it's better, turn it a little more and try it again.. repeat until you are happy. By turning the Injection pump timing (a little) you are not breaking anything, just affecting the time that the high-pressure fuel is entering the cylinder. The (obviously) affects starting (of if it will start at all!) , but it will still run, albeit "off" a little.

If you get it where it easy to start, then the timing is good (or at least good enough). (I had an old Passat Diesel that required a computer program plugged into the ODB II port to set correctly. Until you could do that, you just manually turned it a little until it was right, much like the old days when you turned your engine timing on the spark plug distributor... turn it a little until it no long "lugged" under power.)

Best of luck...

Gearclash

To set the timing. Rotate the engine in the direction of normal rotation until the pointer visible in the flywheel housing is lined up with TDC on the flywheel (I think that's what it is anyway -- been too long since I did this). Be sure to stop right at the correct mark. Never rotate the engine the wrong way to get the flywheel mark lined up, this lets the lash in the gear throw the pump timing off. Loosen the nuts that hold the injector pump housing to the front gear housing and rotate the housing of the injection pump until those two lines are even.

The machine serial number, if the original riveted tag is AWOL, can be found stamped into the top of the left fuel tank.

Last edited:

Latest posts